Business model question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys/gals, I have a question. How many of you would use a lawyer that intentionally reduced his overhead (thus saving you money in the form of lower fees) by not renting/leasing an office? Instead, said lawyer would be able to meet you and discuss your case in a suitable public location (conference room in a library, in a courthouse, or even in the OU law library facilities). Is it something you'd consider or is just too hard to get over the perception that a lawyer should have his own chunk of real estate near the courthouse to work from?

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see both good and bad in this and can't mentally total up the pro/con score.

First, the whole world is going virtual, so why shouldn't the lawyer/client relationship do so? The brick and mortar setting is going away in a lot of businesses. So, this would put you on the trend line.

However, I'm betting that many legal discussions are highly emotional. Could you have those kind of discussions in a library meeting room? I bet not. I bet some potential clients would bolt.

Sure, there might be some people that demand the credibility of an ivy-walled building with an impressive law library. But, I'm guessing that they are in the minority. The value an attorney brings is in the service he provides and you probably don't need a snazzy office to do that. There is some pretty effective 'street law' practiced on card tables in community centers.

But, you'd need to figure out how to offer a quiet, private setting option. That's my $.02.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, and meeting places could be suggested by the client (if they know a place they'd be comfortable) or recommended by me. I'd only recommend places that offered excellent accommodations. The conference rooms in the OU law library, for example are top notch, open to the public, and fairly easy to reserve.

I'm not set on the whole "virtual shingle" thing, but there are a lot of firms taking a beating these days because they've failed to manage their overhead expenses. The "boom" period for lawyers saw firms renting luxurious spaces in skyscrapers. The bust period sees a lot of those firms downsizing rapidly in an attempt to stay afloat.

Honestly though, the idea of reduced overhead has a certain appeal to me. It lowers my startup cost, keeps operating expenses low, and (hopefully) pays off by attracting more clients by virtue of lower prices and good representation.

I've got a little less than a year to think about it, so I still have time (but not a lot of it).

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first reaction is to be skeptical of the attorney if for no reason than the security of his files, records, trash, and all the other assorted by products of a profession like this. Meeting in public is ok but privacy and security has a lot going for it too. Whatever is more important for you.....

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first reaction is to be skeptical of the attorney if for no reason than the security of his files, records, trash, and all the other assorted by products of a profession like this. Meeting in public is ok but privacy and security has a lot going for it too. Whatever is more important for you.....

By "public" I don't mean "where everyone can see you" I mean, "in a conference/meeting room located within a building paid for with public funds."

Still, thanks for the reply. I know full well that the biggest hurdle to the business model is the lack of a "private" meeting space. As far as security goes, well, I don't see any difference between a more virtual practice and a traditional one. The files are still going to be on a computer that the attorney travels with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom