Bye 357 magnum, hello 10 mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never shot a 10mm, though I shoot a lot of .357. What about it do you like better?

Been shooting .357's since i was in the service in late 80's/early 90's --- our unit procured some .357 mag Smith's because, as my company commander said at the time -- "If the SEALs are using them - we should be too !" (late 70's and 80's it was reported ST6 was using .357's ) - Nevermind that we were a maintenance unit and not front linecounter-terrorist dudes or anything

Theyve no doubt moved on since then, but the lessons remain the same 35-40 years later -- .357 Magnum solves problems and as a 20 year old kid - that mantra kind of stuck with me , so a few years down the road as a civilian when i was well heeled enough to buy my first handgun - i went with a 4" .357 (Colt Lawman)

That was mid 90's , but i bacame enamored with the 10mm inabout '98 or '99 due to capacity. The only game in town was Glock - and a few metal frame Smith's and Colt Delta's floating around - but the Delta;s were reportedly not foolproof (they're 1911's after all )

Capacity ( 15 +1 in Glock 20 and 10+1 or 12+1 -w/ extended mag baseplate - im Glock 29)

The 10mm's are also softer shooting - at least in the Glock format --

Capacity though is almost a moot point with a single stack like a Sig 220 or a 1911 variant. I admit to not having fired a 1911 10mm, but i owned a SIG 220 in 10 and it was honestly very easy to shoot. It was heavy - all steel unlike a standard .45 ACP 220 with an alloy frame - had great sights and was ---- well , it was a traditional SIG - just a great gun all around -- but also 8 shot capacity in single stack format -

8 shots vs 6 shots -- ehhhhhhhhhh - but 6 shots versus 12 or 15 is another story

Sig made .40 cal versions of the 226 - i wonder what kept them from doing a 10mm there unless the mag length restriction due to grip frame size had anything to do with it ---- just not that excited about the 320 based X-TEN that they do now - it addresses the mag capacity issue, --- but shoot , Glock has been doing that for years - and with the option of having a companion compact 29 too - well, somewhat compact - the 29 is almost the same size as a Model 19

I need a Glock 40 Gen 5 (10mm longslide) when/if they decide to release it and that will complete my Glock 10mm triumverate

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, the 1911 is a design, not a caliber specific firearm and I'm not a fudd, owning just about every design out there with the exception of one glock 43 that's a safe queen I won at a DU banquet.

(here we go! LOL!)

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What little experience I have with Glock is I'd have better luck throwing it at a target rather than shooting it. Lol. I simply have not been able to hit with a glock. No, I'm not a dead eye with any pistol really, but I'd be dead I'd my life depended on my ability with a glock.
LOL, the 1911 is a design, not a caliber specific firearm and I'm not a fudd, owning just about every design out there with the exception of one glock 43 that's a safe queen I won at a DU banquet.

(here we go! LOL!)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice!
Does the backstrap safety bite with warm 10mm shots?
I’ve been committed to the Glock platform due to similar (well, same) manual of arms to my 9mm Glocks but am curious about them all.
Nope, not at all. I hardly even notice the hot shooting 10mm versus my subcompact 40. I have carried a 45 for about all of my adult life from a full-sized 1911 to a Colt Officer's Model. The 357 Model 13 357 MAG I had kicked harder than this 10mm.