Caught a Whopper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to cook a fish very well since being on my own as an adult. My grandma could cook 'em like a champ, but I'm not sure what she did differently. Mine always seem to either A)burn or B) the coating (flour/cornmeal) will cook, then fall off into the oil.

How do you experts do it?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to cook a fish very well since being on my own as an adult. My grandma could cook 'em like a champ, but I'm not sure what she did differently. Mine always seem to either A)burn or B) the coating (flour/cornmeal) will cook, then fall off into the oil.

How do you experts do it?

Most people make the mistake of not getting their oil hot enough before putting the fish in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of oil do y'all use? Also, how do you judge the temp of the oil? I've always done the old, water drop sizzle test.......

The old redneck method of getting the oil to 350 degrees is to take one of the "strike anywhere" matches, and drop it into the oil. The sulphur tip will ignite at 350 degrees, + or - 5 degrees.
It will go out instantly. Time to put the fish on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom