Cheap handguns that have proven to be reliable for you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I should consider myself fortunate, everything in my stable has proven to be very reliable. From a $250 Stoeger 22LR Luger to an all matching #'s (including 2 magazines) 1940 Mauser police issue Luger --- and all the mainstream firearms in between. There's really nothing I'd change in my collection!

:chat:

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really like less expensive, mass produced guns. (how's that for politically correct statement?) But I did own a Ruger LCP sold it and bought a Springfield XD-Mod2. It really is a good shooting gun. Also have a Taurus 856. Definitely not an all day range gun though.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Taurus G3 (purchased four years ago, just after Taurus improved their quality) was just $300. It is picky about some cheap FMJ ammo - but handles all hollow-point ammo just fine. As long as I stay with decent-quality FMJ, that pistol is perfectly dependable. It is highly-accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot. They are quite a bit more expensive nowadays, though, so I do wish I'd gotten a second one.

A decade ago, I purchased a Canik (pronounced "zha-neek") compact model Stingray 9mm for almost $400 total. EXCELLENT pistol, high quality materials and workmanship, dependable and damned accurate! My youngest brother test-fired it and (understandably) fell in love with it, so I gave it to him for his 50th birthday. I miss that little pistol... but can't find any still available, even on the used market. Wish to heaven that I'd purchased one or two more, back then.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the S&W M&P, and the way the large backstrap fits my hand. I grabbed several when you could find the .40s and compacts under $400 if you shopped around. My last was a 2.0 Pro with the 5" barrel in 9mm for ~$540. It sits in my nightstand.

We've had two Taurus revolvers in our family, both were made by the guy who apparently skipped a few months at machinist school. Both were fixable (had to square off and finish cylinder face etc...), but that was our last Taurus. Some guys have great luck with them though.

Lately though, I've just been saving and spending more per gun. I've flip-flopped from the "why have one when you can have five?" philosophy and believe the opposite now.

To each their own.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently bought a RIA M200 from a member here. $250. Sole purpose was for snake shot and it has worked well twice.

Bought a new Taurus TX22 from KYgunco. Total was $289.10 + 3.61 shipping insurance + 10 FFL transfer to Sooner State. $302.71 grand total. Haven't shot it yet. Taurus is running a rebate until 10/31 where you get a range bag plus 3 additional mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom