Chiggers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About three years ago I got ate up from my ankles up to my calves and it was bad...I couldn't count how many bites there were. I tried everything you could think of including the nail polish, benadryl, spray on meds, bleach...NOTHING worked, no difference at all...it was horrible and finally after about a week of misery the itching finally eased up. All I can say is good luck...I feel your pain so to speak.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've not had a chigger bite since moving out here. Grew up in Bartlesville, and got eaten by them every time we went outside. My kids have yet to have a chigger bite at home, only at grandma's in Bville.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pool helped alot! It burned like fire at first but i haven't hardly itched any since we got out. Looks like more nights on the floaty is in order!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About three years ago I got ate up from my ankles up to my calves and it was bad...I couldn't count how many bites there were. I tried everything you could think of including the nail polish, benadryl, spray on meds, bleach...NOTHING worked, no difference at all...it was horrible and finally after about a week of misery the itching finally eased up. All I can say is good luck...I feel your pain so to speak.

Amputation is the only answer.....

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benadryl, Claritin (Loratadine), and/or calamine lotion.

If you paint them with nail polish or scratch them open and bleach them, you're just going to be a painted, scabby, smelly, ITCHY person. The blisters and itching are symptomatic of the body's allergic reaction, just like a mosquito bite (which I've never heard anyone tell anyone to douse in bleach or paint with nail polish) and have to be treated as such. BTW: Bleach is a chemical and, even when diluted, can cause a chemical burn.

WIVES TALES: Chiggers don't embed themselves in your skin and PI blisters won't spread the rash upon breaking (or ever, for that matter). Chigger bites are just that, and what causes the "spread" of a poison ivy rash is remnants of the urishol oil left behind on clothes, shoes, gloves, and tools that were never properly cleaned off after exposure.

THIS THIS THIS OMG THIS..... from a guy that is extremely allergic to them please for love of everything this. That other stuff just makes things worse. bleach does help but not nearly as effective.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for a tube of Americane, it is 20% benzocaine and really helps the itching.
It used be sold for itching but believe it or not it is only available as a Hemorrhoid ointment
Same stuff just relabeled to make it legal to sell that much benzocaine.

Good luck and next time get a bug spray that contains DEET. it is the only thing that works against Chiggers.

schmeeking

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chiggers attach, and humans routinely scratch them off, or wash them off in the shower. While eating, they bite, then spit an enzyme that breaks down your skin on a cellular level making a slurry for them to eat. Just think about that next time you walk through the woods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom