Coach guns...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fondled one of those Stoeger double barrel coach guns and it was pretty sweet. I'm going to pick one up one of these days, once I have a few more scratched off my list.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went a different route and got the Outback coach gun. Over and Under 20" 12 gage with fixed rifle sights and screw in chokes. I know its not americian made like GED is looking for, but it it still pretty cool. I even deer hunted with it last year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 70's my last active duty station was Ft. Leavenworth Ks. They allowed hunting there. The only guns I had at the time was a .410 single shot H&R, and an old belgian made double hammered, double triggered SXS that my grandpa gave me. (Grandpa was a metalurgist for Conoco, and determined the barrel was sound for low power loads.) I had a second cousin that lived in the area, and when I invited him for a hunt he brought two shotguns made by the Simmons Gun Company of Oletha Ks. (suberb of KC). Both were custom built SXS's with hammers that cost about 2k each in the 70's. Both were 1/8" over legal length. He let me use one of them for the upland hunt. Talk about sweet!:D
The Simmons Gun Company officially failed during the recession of the 80's, but there are still guns out there. I'm betting they would be pretty pricy though.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No American company to my knowledge still makes a SXS. A couple like Remington import from Turkey. The Stevens / Mossberg / Savage 311/411 models are still around, but as before no hammer guns.

Ruger even stopped making theirs. Cost was just to high to keep making. I know Winchester made them too, but stopped years ago, and those carry a high price now days.

An original Colt Coachgun is gonna be out of the ballpark as far as price.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fondled one of those Stoeger double barrel coach guns and it was pretty sweet. I'm going to pick one up one of these days, once I have a few more scratched off my list.

NOTE: 1 bad product does not a trend make...

I bought a Stoeger Coach gun to use for Cowboy Action shooting. Great fit and finish. Nice wood. Nice shiny front sight bead. Hung the barrels and rung 'em. Super good barrel weld. All in all I was initially pleased.

Right up until I started shooting it. Wierdest thing. The pattern wasn't round. Shooting #7 shot. Out of the left barrel the pattern strung up and to the left. At 15 yards the pattern was about 12" tall with the base just above point of aim and curving thru about 30 degrees to the left. The right hand barrel produced a more circular pattern with about an 8" size top to bottom, base of pattern at the point of aim and curving up and to the right at about 15 degrees.

Thought it might be me. Borrowed an 870 and got perfectly round patterns shooting #7 out out of an unchoked barrel about 12" across with center of pattern at point of aim. Bought a Remington Police Tactical Magnum 870 for HD and patterned it. Same, same.

Warn't me! It was the Stoeger.

Caveat emptor...

Latest posts

Top Bottom