Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was a kid, there was a bounty on coyotes. So much per pair of ears. Don't remember how much, but every rancher in Osage County where there are pastures with tens of thousands of acres had horses or mules along with greyhounds to run the coyotes at night.
There would be miles of coyotes hanging from every fence post with no ears as trophy's.
Poison was used. Aircraft with shotguns, and yet Wiley coyote is still with us in record numbers and spreading east.
A man once told me that after a nuclear war, the only things that would survive, would be coyotes and cockroaches.

Growing up in Kansas, there used to be a $2.00 bounty for coyote ears.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's calving season as well. Best to watch the mama cows dropping calves right now.

This late? When we were on the farm/ranch, our calving came about in early Spring. Like still colder than all get out "early Spring." Hated that time of year for the first time "Springer Heifers." Lying on the ground to help them birth that first calf (usually in the wee hours of the morning) wasn't fun.

Kangaroo1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
They have been really active around here. Two mornings ago I head one of the neighbor's cows going crazy and a bunch coyotes raising hell to the south of my property. Right after sunrise when it was just light enough to see, I heard a couple of shots from the same area. A bit later I heard another along with a bunch of ATV activity. I heard more coyotes on the property to the north and that neighbor's donkeys were going crazy.

Last night two of my guineas didn't come home. I could hear them in the woods across the fence on the neighbors property to the north. But, it was too dark to see them in the thick trees and brush.

I let the guineas out this morning and they immediately ran over to the fence and started calling...for the other two, I guess. I took care of the chickens and was walking to the goat pen and saw a coyote snag one of the remaining guineas...on my property. I went and grabbed a rifle and walked over towards the fence. I saw on coyote on the neighbors side maybe 80 or 90 yards away. Fired a shot, watched him do a back flip and disappear into the tall grass and brush. I found some blood on the grass and saw where he ran off further into the woods. The guinea was still laying there. I walked back a ways and waited for a bit. Sure enough another one came back after the bird. I couldn't see it well enough to get a shot, though, because the brush and grass was too thick. I did fire a round into the dirt off to the right of it...that was enough to send it hauling ass back into the woods. I took the bird back to get rid of it in hopes it might discourage them a bit.

They are really getting brave, probably due to being so hungry. Everything's dry and I'm not seeing any small animals around much at all. I usually see a lot of rabbits around my tractor shed but they're all gone but one. Near where I shot the coyote this morning I found a little fawn that was unfortunate enough to have gotten hung up in the fence and became a meal. I don't feel bad about shooting him. I know they're hungry and just trying to eat but they're gonna pay a price if they decide to start grabbing my animals.
They aren't bothering the cattle, we've been in the cattle business for decades, the only thing a coyote will do is eat afterbirth and cow **** for the colostrum. They clean up the dead ones when needed. Cant even begin to count the times I've seen coyotes walk through a herd, neither coyote or cattle gave a difference either way. Coyotes can make a living off of grasshoppers and Johnson grass if they have too, this isn't the time of year they are hungry. That comes in late jan-late feb. .

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This late? When we were on the farm/ranch, our calving came about in early Spring. Like still colder than all get out "early Spring." Hated that time of year for the first time "Springer Heifers." Lying on the ground to help them birth that first calf (usually in the wee hours of the morning) wasn't fun.
Sounds like they were not brahman or at least cross.

Latest posts

Top Bottom