Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have been really active around here. Two mornings ago I head one of the neighbor's cows going crazy and a bunch coyotes raising hell to the south of my property. Right after sunrise when it was just light enough to see, I heard a couple of shots from the same area. A bit later I heard another along with a bunch of ATV activity. I heard more coyotes on the property to the north and that neighbor's donkeys were going crazy.

Last night two of my guineas didn't come home. I could hear them in the woods across the fence on the neighbors property to the north. But, it was too dark to see them in the thick trees and brush.

I let the guineas out this morning and they immediately ran over to the fence and started calling...for the other two, I guess. I took care of the chickens and was walking to the goat pen and saw a coyote snag one of the remaining guineas...on my property. I went and grabbed a rifle and walked over towards the fence. I saw on coyote on the neighbors side maybe 80 or 90 yards away. Fired a shot, watched him do a back flip and disappear into the tall grass and brush. I found some blood on the grass and saw where he ran off further into the woods. The guinea was still laying there. I walked back a ways and waited for a bit. Sure enough another one came back after the bird. I couldn't see it well enough to get a shot, though, because the brush and grass was too thick. I did fire a round into the dirt off to the right of it...that was enough to send it hauling ass back into the woods. I took the bird back to get rid of it in hopes it might discourage them a bit.

They are really getting brave, probably due to being so hungry. Everything's dry and I'm not seeing any small animals around much at all. I usually see a lot of rabbits around my tractor shed but they're all gone but one. Near where I shot the coyote this morning I found a little fawn that was unfortunate enough to have gotten hung up in the fence and became a meal. I don't feel bad about shooting him. I know they're hungry and just trying to eat but they're gonna pay a price if they decide to start grabbing my animals.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Trapping is the most effective and the only way to temporarily remove move them. There will always be another coyote to replace everyone that's killed. A friend out at Mooreland has trapped the same ranches for the last 30y, catches 75-100 every year, there's always another 75-100 each year lol.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 20 wooded acres behind me at my OKC home where I have the goats and chckens. I hear the coyotes back there all the time. A few years ago I lost 3 goats to yotes. Decided it was time for a guard dog to hang out with the goats. On my 2nd ( first died of old age ) Great Pyrenese/ Antolian guard dog. Haven't lost a chicken or goat since......at least 12-15 years now. I have hot wire...very good fence....but the dog is the only sure solution.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyotes are so dang smart and sneaky! Difficult to control by shooting them. They’ll learn that when you come out the boom stick goes boom and they’ll become even more cautious.

In my experience after shooting a couple of them you’ll be hard pressed to get another shot for quite a while.

Tynyphil is 100% correct here. Livestock guardian dog and electric fence is the best way to keep your animals alive.

I enjoy shooting them though! When we butcher a sheep or pig I’ll sometimes dump the guts in the field behind the house. Sit behind cover with rifle on a stable rest, about 250yds away from gut pile. I’ve killed several of them at dusk with this method.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tynyphil is 100% correct here. Livestock guardian dog and electric fence is the best way to keep your animals alive.
PS. Should you go the LGD route it needs to be that. My guard dog lives 100% of the time with the goats. If you bring to the house to play with it and pet on it you’ve defeated your purpose. He’d rather be with you than the livestock. My dog it is super friendly to me and anyone with me but other than that he perceives anything/anyone else a threat. He won’t attack a person but he’ll give them a good barking

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had a pet coyote when i was a kid. it decided it liked chicken so i tried tying it up when it wasn't with me. it would walk to the end of the rope and then retreat about four feet and make a path in the grass in a circle. the checkens would walk up to the path thinking safety! instant chicken dinner for ole yote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom