Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mostly the F-I-L's cattle which were primarily Hereford for the cow/calf pairs. Wife and I had a few Black Angus, but none of them were Springer Heifers.
We have ran Brangus sense back in the 60s. The only time I had any problems calving was when I bought some heifers that were bred to Simental Angus cross bull, big mistake, had to pull all the bull calves out of them.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We do a lot of hay as well as run several hundred head of momma cows. Never had any issues with Coyotes bothering our cows and such. We do have a good dozen Healers all over the place, and a few mean asses in each pasture.

Coyotes are a vital importance to our farm, they keep the rodents and such in order, keep coons, opposums and rats out of our hay barns. We would be ran over if it were not for Coyotes, they play a needed part.

Annihilating Coyotes off a place is not a good idea.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We do a lot of hay as well as run several hundred head of momma cows. Never had any issues with Coyotes bothering our cows and such. We do have a good dozen Healers all over the place, and a few mean asses in each pasture.

Coyotes are a vital importance to our farm, they keep the rodents and such in order, keep coons, opposums and rats out of our hay barns. We would be ran over if it were not for Coyotes, they play a needed part.

Annihilating Coyotes off a place is not a good idea.

See...that's pretty much how I feel. I get the need to protect animals, livestock, etc. But, regardless of how you feel about them, those coyotes do serve a purpose. I don't want them getting my birds, goats or dogs, but I'm not going to kill them just for the sake of killing them.

I guess I believe life has value. Animals more so than some people. There are few things I'll kill just because of what they are.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See...that's pretty much how I feel. I get the need to protect animals, livestock, etc. But, regardless of how you feel about them, those coyotes do serve a purpose. I don't want them getting my birds, goats or dogs, but I'm not going to kill them just for the sake of killing them.

I guess I believe life has value. Animals more so than some people. There are few things I'll kill just because of what they are.

The wife’s tale about them killing young calves is silly. Truth of the matter is they will follow a momma and calf and make her milk get an overload of bile in it from stress which will make the calf get bad scours and kill the calf. Then will eat the dead calf if the owner doesn’t watch his cows good. Good dogs and asses will keep them off the cows.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw one hauling butt across our place, turkeys hauling butt to get away. Usually hear them in the woods behind us but only at night.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They aren't bothering the cattle, we've been in the cattle business for decades, the only thing a coyote will do is eat afterbirth and cow **** for the colostrum. They clean up the dead ones when needed. Cant even begin to count the times I've seen coyotes walk through a herd, neither coyote or cattle gave a difference either way. Coyotes can make a living off of grasshoppers and Johnson grass if they have too, this isn't the time of year they are hungry. That comes in late jan-late feb. .
I lost one calf to coyotes, the cow had twins and while having the second the coyote got the first one. We calved from January to march. Coyotes are carnivores eating mostly meat, like all canines if they are having some stomach problems they will eat some grass.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lost one calf to coyotes, the cow had twins and while having the second the coyote got the first one. We calved from January to march. Coyotes are carnivores eating mostly meat, like all canines if they are having some stomack problems they will eat some grass.
Yep, around here in Osage County, we don't have captive herds in small lots. Some of the pastures run 15 to 50 thousand acres. Dogs, asses, or whatever can't take care of the calf predation by coyotes with a couple thousand head of cattle.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost one calf to coyotes, the cow had twins and while having the second the coyote got the first one. We calved from January to march. Coyotes are carnivores eating mostly meat, like all canines if they are having some stomach problems they will eat some grass.
I enjoyed watching my cows when dogs and coyote came around. The cows would start milling around and when they had the canines encircled they would close in and trample them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom