Cross bracing ideas for carport/shop ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s coming together but that ladder on the tractor bucket? Yikes! Looks a little redneck and too much like something I would do. 🤣

I got my trusses and tin to my place this weekend. Still need to finish my pad and bring in one more shipping container before my barn project starts.

Keep posting pics!
@undeg01 That ladder is drill stem with cross braces welded. Use to be old building trusses
I was going to say, ladder? What ladder? That's a brace or truss.

It's also a good place for the future accident. Have 911 on speed dial.

Last edited:

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Collar ties?
Collar ties are usually at the top of walls and go to the outside of the wall. If your building is 40 foot wide, your tie is 40 foot, just like the bottom cord of a truss. When you have a snow or wind load the ridge is pushed down and the walls are pushed out, causing collapse, but the tie prevents that. The tie doesn't have to be at wall height, on scissor trusses like yours they can be higher, but the higher they are the less effective they are. If you have enough cable you can make the ties out of that, you can also make x braces for the roof with cable, if you have it, use it.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s coming together but that ladder on the tractor bucket? Yikes! Looks a little redneck and too much like something I would do. 🤣
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do: 35' flagpoke, 24' ladder. In my defense, I was sort of belted on.

Attachments

• 35 ft pole - 24 ft ladder.JPG
    35 ft pole - 24 ft ladder.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Collar ties are usually at the top of walls and go to the outside of the wall. If your building is 40 foot wide, your tie is 40 foot, just like the bottom cord of a truss. When you have a snow or wind load the ridge is pushed down and the walls are pushed out, causing collapse, but the tie prevents that. The tie doesn't have to be at wall height, on scissor trusses like yours they can be higher, but the higher they are the less effective they are. If you have enough cable you can make the ties out of that, you can also make x braces for the roof with cable, if you have it, use it.
So i guess something like the following pics i found?

Attachments

• IMG_4689.png
    IMG_4689.png
    503.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4691.png
    IMG_4691.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom