Current state of the gun market - interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that is true on the production side we are going to be dealing with the shortages for a while.

And once things are available, the demand side is still going to be high because everyone who got caught with their pants down on this scare is going to be stocking up big time.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah its crazy how much the prices on everything jumped up, i've seen pmags for sale for $100, i went into Dong's sporting goods in tulsa and they have a FNH SCAR .308 its marked at $20,000.00.

I would say I'm surprised but I'm not.

Magpul got on arfcom and said the million mag backorder thing was BS. One thing I'm noticing just around Tulsa, the prices have hit a wall. People aren't paying the ridiculous prices anymore. Seems $40 for a mag is about it, because I saw Mags, ammo, and ARs in stock yesterday.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.*

RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up.

I question the validity of this because I have first hand knowledge that the Winchester-Olin plant is still only producing ammunition 4 days per week and have not added any extra shifts. A year ago they were running 7 days a week. That makes me question what is going on here.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where you gonna get those primers, the primer fairy?

I saw cases of Wolf .223 selling like hot cakes for close to $800 each. My only hope is that panicked buyers will eventually run out of money. Until then, ammo will be either expensive or rare.

My personal opinion is that this 'run' on all things gun related is financed in large part by revolving debt, which will run out shortly. People did not just magically accumulate $1000's in disposable income.

There are not any large quantities of small pistol primers to be found in the Tulsa area. I have enough to last me until about June, after which time, I will either not be competing, or will have moved on to action packed world of competition slingshots.

gmplaster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overall our personal debt in this country is declining and has been since the Great Recession. But, I agree this kind of buying spree is probably stalling out that decline as people use their credit cards on guns and ammo purchases.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coulple of notes from my side of the counter;
S&W makes 3,200 M&P pistols a day. They are running 3 shifts/7 days.
Every primer ATK had planned for 2013 was allocated before Xmas.
ATK makes 10,000,000 rounds of 22lr a day. That is just ATK, not Olin nor Remington.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went into GunWorld a few days ago and they have about every kind of ammo you would need in stock.
I walked in looked around and was on my way out when I guy walked up to the counter and ask if they had any ammo at all that was less than a dollar a round.
The guy behind the counter just said "No".
7.62x39 and 223 were $700 for 500 rounds IIRC.

Atleast you don't have to pay to get in,,,, yet!

Latest posts

Top Bottom