Deer vs. Bobcat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not a big bobcat is more than capable of taking down a small deer. They are as big or bigger than an average sized coyote and are killing machines. I don't think they consistantly kill deer but are capable to do so.

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is your biggest bobcat? I have never taken one over 25 lbs and the biggest I ever saw dead and weighed was 28 lbs and it looked huge. I have probably trapped or called in a dozen or so. They look a lot bigger than they weigh usually.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine would be 25 pounds. I have seen several that were around 30 that someone else shot and have seen 3 that were over 40. Most coyotes people shoot almost never weigh as much as they think. A 40 pound coyote is a big coyote. imhntn, I know you already know all of that. How big are the coyotes over there where you are? You guys showing any mange this year?

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I would love to see a 40 lb bobcat. That would be a monster. Our coyotes look pretty good this year so far. The only mangy one I got was down by Mangum a few weeks ago. It looks like it is going to be a pretty good year for them to me. I have not weighed a coyote in a long time but there sure isn't much to them when you get the skin off. I was thinking that most adults I have weighed were 30-35 lbs or so. I bet I haven't weighed one in 10 yrs though.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kept a very detailed logbook a couple of years ago on my bobcats for one season. We had called I think 33 cats in, killed around 27 and they all averaged around 20 pounds. I have seen some really nice ones but they were always one that someone else had taken. I love hunting bobcats though and my time is coming.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom