Deterring a Dog from Digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Several years ago I had two dogs that started digging along the chainlink fence.

I put a hotwire about six inches inside the fence using long plastic tent stakes setting the wire a few inches above the ground.

Problem solved!

After a few weeks I turned off the juice, still no digging.

After a few months I completely removed the wire and stakes, still no digging.

We lived there for a couple more years and they wouldn't even cross the fenceline with the gates open and us calling them outside the backyard.

IMHO the hotwire worked.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight, NightShade. I believe the path you laid out to be feasible. We had a kiddie pool last year for him as a young pup, and he loved it so much he destroyed it. Probably worth re-investing in another this year.

I checked both holes that I had filled in last night when I got home from work. Both had areas where he had pawed at them, but they had not been dug out either. I believe this to be a chess game, with the stakes getting higher. I know I'm more stubborn about my lawn than this coonhound can be.

As to the sandbox idea, I agree. Although I only see two cats strolling our neighborhood, they do not enter our yard any longer as they have motivation not to. I shall not tempt them back with a sandbox. I'm hoping I can find enough dirt this weekend, along with his crap and cayenne pepper, to have a fresh start on the yard and take it from there.

Small pieces of chicken wire will be next on my list, then an electric fence.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the 2 deer that I killed last season, I saved the leg bones for him. He chewed the heck out of them then started chewing on the firewood. I don't really care that he chews on the firewood. Yeah, he gets bored easy, but he gets a lot of attention from my daughter and wife who are home all day with him.

During lunch, I filled in the two holes he re-dug since yesterday. One I mixed a decent about of his digestive leftovers in with and the other I sprinkled cayenne on. Now, to see what happens. I wouldn't mind having a collar on hand for while we duck hunt.

He's a coonhound..... he's bored. They need activity/jobs..... attention won't cut it.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
years ago we had a toy sheltie. Normally they arent diggers but this bugger loved to get in the wifes flower garden and uproot everything.

Needless to say I got tired of getting my butt chewed over "my dog" digging up "her gladiolas"

So I bought one of those little wired electric shockers to protect both the flower bed and my temper.

Get it all hooked up and I touch a finger to it to see if it worked.

Nothing..........................so I really touched it........still nothing.

Wife comes out to observe the project. I explain to her the set up isnt working.

I touch it again to show her, and still nothing.

She reachs down and grabs it..................and you guessed it..............it worked.......realy good...........

I was wearing rubber soled boots and she was barefoot..................

Her hair stood on end, her eyes bugged out and the shreik was terrible to the ear............not to mention the string of profanity that I never believed she knew.................

Me and the dog had to share the dog house for a week.......................

Oh and the dog, he just learned to crawl under the wire ..........

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
years ago we had a toy sheltie. Normally they arent diggers but this bugger loved to get in the wifes flower garden and uproot everything.

Needless to say I got tired of getting my butt chewed over "my dog" digging up "her gladiolas"

So I bought one of those little wired electric shockers to protect both the flower bed and my temper.

Get it all hooked up and I touch a finger to it to see if it worked.

Nothing..........................so I really touched it........still nothing.

Wife comes out to observe the project. I explain to her the set up isnt working.

I touch it again to show her, and still nothing.

She reachs down and grabs it..................and you guessed it..............it worked.......realy good...........

I was wearing rubber soled boots and she was barefoot..................

Her hair stood on end, her eyes bugged out and the shreik was terrible to the ear............not to mention the string of profanity that I never believed she knew.................

Me and the dog had to share the dog house for a week.......................

Oh and the dog, he just learned to crawl under the wire ..........

LOL! That's funny stuff right there! :D

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of those battery-powered (uses two D-cell batteries) electric fences to keep my half-Lab from digging in the flower bed. She knew when it was on, and wouldn't go near it (I almost couldn't drag her near it). Alas, that also meant that she knew when it wasn't on, and I came home one night to find the electric fence tangled up around the lead to her aerial run and the plastic poles broken off and chewed up. I'm almost certain there's nothing dog-proof when it comes to Destruct-O-Matic the Half-Lab...

Fortunately, daffodils are tough little flowers, and keep coming back each year, albeit in slightly different formations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom