Deterring a Dog from Digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Dog Guard underground fence around 5 acres and another wire around the house. Keeps them inside the 5 acres and away from the flowerbeds and patio. Works very well.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dog is a 15 month old Redbone Coonhound/Lab mix. We have a fairly large backyard with a covered porch. This dog has taken a fondness to digging all along the fence and 4-5 random spots in the yard. We do have occassional gopher activity, but with his incessant digging at the fence line, I'm not buying that he's strictly chasing them. I've tried reprimanding him when I see him doing it to no avail. He has plenty of toys and cool places to lay (it's not even hot outside yet). He is not left in the yard for more than a few hours at a time usually and he gets regular family interaction. His nails are clipped as well.

Has anyone had any success with sprinkling cayenne or black pepper in the areas that a dog is digging to deter them? I'm up for about anything as I'm tired of buying dirt (yes, I know, city boy first world problems) and almost twisting ankles while attempting to mow.

dogs dig for a few reasons the most prevalent one is that they are extremely bored and have extra energy to burn, your dog most likely would benefit from a long daily walk.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dogs would debunk that notion, as my backyard is chain link on three sides with a privacy fence on the fourth side. Most of their holes have been along the chain link.

It's common knowledge that dogs actually can't see through chain link fence. Messes up their ability to focus. LOL

I have three labs, one digs bad, one dig worse and the third one rents herself out to a yard sprinkler company. They are just rediculous and I'm not convenced you can make them quit. I've trid the s**t thing, tried the pepper thing, I've set stuff in the favorite holes. Ah, guess what...they moved and now we more favorite holes. Good luck but I'd give up before you go nuts.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
after reading more of your posts it sounds like your dog definitely needs to be walked, playing with them in the yard etc is not the same unless you have acres and acres and can toss a ball forever to wear them out. Daily walking will fix a large majority of "behavioral" issues in dogs. Digging and destructive behavior are all signs of extreme boredom. How would you feel if you were stuck in the same place 24-7-365 and did not get to go out regularly? I would be a spaz too!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's common knowledge that dogs actually can't see through chain link fence. Messes up their ability to focus. LOL

I have three labs, one digs bad, one dig worse and the third one rents herself out to a yard sprinkler company. They are just rediculous and I'm not convenced you can make them quit. I've trid the s**t thing, tried the pepper thing, I've set stuff in the favorite holes. Ah, guess what...they moved and now we more favorite holes. Good luck but I'd give up before you go nuts.

Had a good laugh reading that, thank you.

after reading more of your posts it sounds like your dog definitely needs to be walked, playing with them in the yard etc is not the same unless you have acres and acres and can toss a ball forever to wear them out. Daily walking will fix a large majority of "behavioral" issues in dogs. Digging and destructive behavior are all signs of extreme boredom. How would you feel if you were stuck in the same place 24-7-365 and did not get to go out regularly? I would be a spaz too!

I have definitely tried, but it can be difficult to keep that in the busy daily routine. Dedicating time daily is difficult to maintain, for sure.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a couple of German Shorthairs that kept climbing my fence and killing cats in my neighborhood. After I got sued I wired the top of the fence using an inexpensive charger from Atwoods which took care of the problem. Maybe you could drive some stakes a foot so out from the bottom of your fence and wire it. Don't pee on the wire though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom