Deterring a Dog from Digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
People that dont have time for a dog probably should own fish instead.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

My guess is you have either never owned fish or never SUCCESSFULLY owned fish. - Our oldest Ocelaris Clown fish us almost 7 years old. He's the first saltwater fish we ever bought. We've had fish come and go, but she's a trooper.

Love my fishes, love my dogs.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is you have either never owned fish or never SUCCESSFULLY owned fish. - Our oldest Ocelaris Clown fish us almost 7 years old. He's the first saltwater fish we ever bought. We've had fish come and go, but she's a trooper.

Love my fishes, love my dogs.

All I know about fish are they dont need walked, they dont dig and for that matter they dont seem to get bored if you dont play with them.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always did the concrete or brick in the hole and let them move on, eventually there was so much junk along the edges it didn't matter any more.

Could go get a couple bags of portland cement and a tiller and run along the edge, get some of the dirt put in a wheelbarrow and then pour the portland cement along the area where you tilled mix it up a little and then pack it down. Won't be as hard as concrete but as long as there is enough portland mixed in it should harden to the point where digging is painful then just toss some of the rest of the soil on top so grass will grow.

Also get one of the hard plastic kiddie pools for cooling off, especially if you find your dog is laying in the holes after they are dug. Some lawn mower or motorcycle tires for toys maybe even get something set up to tug of war against, heavy rope tied around a tree or post. They also have the automated laser pointers but that will probably only help in the evenings or at night. If you want to get real fancy could set a post and mount a spindle on the top with a piece of pipe a little ways out with a toy of some sort attached and get something setup so that the wind will move it around a little and catch the dogs eye. The more toys they have the less apt they will be to try and entertain by digging.

The shock collars are generally my last resort, tried everything else and problem is not stopped then it's to that point. Only took a couple times with one of the anti bark ones to get my dog to finally stop barking constantly when we would leave and it was then on a very low setting. The training collars they have now have a range of settings as well as a tone as a warning. Lots of options out there most chain stores with a pet section or the pet supply stores like petco have them already or you can look online, even Bass Pro has them just read some reviews and decide what you want.

As far as the feces, paper, pepper, etc. it can be hit and miss but my dog still begs to have some of what I am eating when I have hot sauce on it even after having some before, he loves to shred and chew paper and dogs tend to enjoy finding the stinkiest things on the planet and rolling in them and the buried feces will have a tendency to smell even worse than when it was getting aired out. Chicken wire may work but if I were to do something of that nature I would get some steel tent stakes that can be sunk almost completely into the ground so they are not a trip or injury hazard and then just use a weed eater over that area rather than try to mow it.

Volmarr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was younger we had a lab that liked to dig and get out of the fence. We dug a shallow trench around the fence laid chicken wire and staked it down and covered it with dirt. It was a lot of work but it stopped her from digging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom