Diesel Cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm about to go down the road with my first diesel car. Its on old Mecedes 240D. Have any of you had any experience with these old diesels? I'm wondering if you have an opinion on a brand/weight of oil.

Thanks,
elcaBob

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm about to go down the road with my first diesel car. Its on old Mecedes 240D. Have any of you had any experience with these old diesels? I'm wondering if you have an opinion on a brand/weight of oil.

Thanks,
elcaBob

I've always been a fan of Rotella in diesels.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OM series mercedes engines aren't like your navistar and cummins style diesels, they rev higher, they're more like a gas engine that runs on diesel. The OM616 which is what you should have is just like the OM617 but with a cylinder cut off. Full synthetic is typically the go to oil for them, feel free to search mercedes diesel forums and most will recommend either delvac or amsoil, but amsoil is much more expensive, given that whole, middle man thing.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most will recommend either delvac or amsoil, but amsoil is much more expensive, given that whole, middle man thing.
I've actually seen AmSoil on the shelf somewhere local--I think it was at Atwood's. I'm pretty sure it was with the diesel oils, but I don't recall exactly. It wasn't the weight I needed for my car or truck, so I didn't pay all that much attention to it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not run a diesel but the ZDDP levels need to be in check.
You could visit BITOG.com and read up on oils..I run flat tappet cams in my cars and the Rotella T6 is my go to oil 5-40 weight and full synthetic.

I used to run Mobil 1 synthetis until 2007 when they dropped the ZDDP levels and noises appeared in some engines.
The T6 actually gives me better MPG than the Mobil in the 95 corolla, and in a Honda and 3/4 ton chevy a friend has,, he used to run Mobil also.. No more.

T6 in my gas engines has worked well for me. It is a diesel oil.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not run a diesel but the ZDDP levels need to be in check.
You could visit BITOG.com and read up on oils..I run flat tappet cams in my cars and the Rotella T6 is my go to oil 5-40 weight and full synthetic.

I used to run Mobil 1 synthetis until 2007 when they dropped the ZDDP levels and noises appeared in some engines.
The T6 actually gives me better MPG than the Mobil in the 95 corolla, and in a Honda and 3/4 ton chevy a friend has,, he used to run Mobil also.. No more.

T6 in my gas engines has worked well for me. It is a diesel oil.

T6 isn't a TRUE full synthetic, technically, it's mineral based, but they get away with it, it's a group III oil.

Amsoil is good, it's expensive for a couple reasons. They don't make it, they only blend and package it themselves. The other being they use a multi-level marketing strategy.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
240D ............. sweet! I worked for a Mercedes dealership in OKC way back in 1981. Really dependable vehicle.
My cousin has worked for Mercedes dealerships and shops since 1980, I'll see what he says.

Latest posts

Top Bottom