Effing skunk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This epic, epic post needed a bump. And we got skunked at 3 AM last night, well my Italian Greyhound did. It's the worst Monday of my life so far. Suck.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a friend who woke up in the middle of the night to find one in his bedroom. It had come into the house through the dog door (d'oh!). He jumped out of bed and the whole room got sprayed.

Okay. I just have to ask... How did he get the live, pissed off, spraying skunk out of his house? LOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We live in the country as well, and I also trap in the winter. The Peroxide, baking soda and dish soap is the ticket. If that scent got in the house, I'd use a pump up sprayer with that mixture in it, and spray the carpets, walls, furniture, or whatever. It has worked wonders for us.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know it sounds odd, but when I worked for a dog groomer we used Joy or Dawn and vinegar based douche. work it into a good lather and let sit for 20-30 mins

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live in the country as well, and I also trap in the winter. The Peroxide, baking soda and dish soap is the ticket. If that scent got in the house, I'd use a pump up sprayer with that mixture in it, and spray the carpets, walls, furniture, or whatever. It has worked wonders for us.

She only made it about 1 step in the house before I picked her up to check on her (I though she maybe got bitten or something), then the smell hit me and I tossed her in the bath. She got a tomato sauce bath (that's what I had handy in the cupboard), then the peroxide/soda mix, and it's still incredibly bad on her. I dropped the dog off at the groomer (I never use groomers) who said they have a 4 step enzyme bath kit that should do wonders on her.The groomer was confident she could get her back to normal.

The house reeked mainly because the dog was crated in there, and my pajamas sat on the bathroom floor all night. I didn't realize my clothes were hit (from holding the dog) until this morning. It's airing out now, along with some coffee grounds that I toasted this morning to help. When I retrieve the dog I'm picking up some of the Nature's Miracle Skunk enzyme spray to mist everything down just to try to neutralize it. I'm gonna dump some lime on the yard to try to get that up (as it's about 15 feet from the house).

Oh, and I'm in a residential area, near 41st and Yale/Sheridan in Tulsa. No where near the "country" but this doesn't surprise me. We got a lot of foxes and possums, occasionally a 'coon, but I have never seen a skunk until today.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, A couple nights with coffee, my tac light, and the scoped Marlin with subsonic ammo may be in my future since I know there's one hanging out around here.

:50cal:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Poor Cards. I've almost been skunked twice this year. A dude at work unintentionally spooked one out from under some stuff and it ran straight at me and the dude I was with. We both gave a responded to it as if it were a bear (he has been skunked before...badly).

When it was hot as balls I timed my bike rides so I'd hit my driveway just as it was too dark to see. I'm on the final mile and it's getting pretty dark. Here I am cruising along 'bout 22mph with a good tailwind when I see the skunk come up from out of the ditch and start to cross the road. I was grabbin' for brakes and cursin' and about to jump off the bike. Some how I didn't wipe out. The skunk was standing on his front legs with his ass in the air when I passed him. I shiver at the thought.

I murdered one in my front yard with my .22 mag one morning. He let me drive past him, walk in the house, get a gun, walk up and shoot him. Broad daylight. Not a real big skunk fan.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dog got skunked last year. I did several tomatoe baths which didnt work all that great. I also bought some stuff from atwoods, which didnt work all that great. Good Luck getting past the smell. On a side, I dont know why but i really enjoy driving down the road and getting a small wiff of skunk.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dog has been skunked twice now. We've used something called Nature's Miracle which makes it tolerable but every time she gets wet the smell comes right back. I have yet to see a skunk but she gets into them early in the morning when we let her out to pee. I'm not even sure where she finds them or I might sit out and wait on them. It is definitely no fun though. I'm hoping she has learned her lesson after the second time but I doubt it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom