Experience with packsaddle wma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SS has some restrictive hunting regs so read up close. The WMA manager lives on the property and has always been good about calling back(been a few years since going there). Some of the sheep from Palo Duro have wandered onto the SS property and since not native there isn't a season(from what I was told). Confirm with the property manager as he don't like them. I think there's only 1 place to camp on SS unless they added another when they purchased additional acreage. Not many trees for squirrels but should have lots of bunnies(if in season).

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
SS has some restrictive hunting regs so read up close. The WMA manager lives on the property and has always been good about calling back(been a few years since going there). Some of the sheep from Palo Duro have wandered onto the SS property and since not native there isn't a season(from what I was told). Confirm with the property manager as he don't like them. I think there's only 1 place to camp on SS unless they added another when they purchased additional acreage. Not many trees for squirrels but should have lots of bunnies(if in season).
Dang it, SS just moved up a few notches in my list of places to go. Would be pretty cool to shoot an Aoudad this close to home.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SS is a pretty cool area
I took my middle son turkey hunting a few years back and he saw 3 new species to him. Prairie dogs (no you can’t😝), jack rabbits, and legless lizard.
It looks like a cool place to call predators

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
SS is a pretty cool area
I took my middle son turkey hunting a few years back and he saw 3 new species to him. Prairie dogs (no you can’t😝), jack rabbits, and legless lizard.
It looks like a cool place to call predators
Shame, Prairie dog shooting is about as close to shooting fish in a barrel as it gets. Its also more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Rabbits are in season, I'm hoping to run across a few, haven't hunted them before, but I tend to see them all the time. half of my trip is just wanting to get away and spend some time outdoors, but the other half is trying to snag a fox and a rabbit for training the puppy I'm supposed to be getting this late spring.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I spoke with the biologists for sandy sanders and packsaddle. They’re both under a pretty bad drought, most of the deer have been driven off. Packsaddle has only a handful of hogs, he made it sound like the population kind of moves through the area, but doesn’t stick around. I was told that I should have a great time predator hunting at both sandy sanders and packsaddle.

The biologist for sandy sanders was curious as to where I heard about the sheep, I told him I heard on here. He says he gets lots of calls about it. He said that a while back they had a few, but he hasn’t seen them in a long time, says they likely moved out of the area.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too bad on the sheep. Buddy in the AF from New Mexico would drive out to SS and they killed a couple with rifles. Like he said, it has been quite a few years since that happened. best of luck and hope you post some pics from the trip.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you gone yet? If not I’d do Sandy sanders and shed hunt wheat fields if there is any. They definitely had a bad drought this past year but in years past there’s been a lot of wheat and food plots there. If I hunted public anywhere in Oklahoma that is where I’d go since they don’t allow rifle hunting there. Could easily decoy or call one in during November there. My buddy hog hunts alot of private down there and they’re are thick. Wear snake boots though!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you gone yet? If not I’d do Sandy sanders and shed hunt wheat fields if there is any. They definitely had a bad drought this past year but in years past there’s been a lot of wheat and food plots there. If I hunted public anywhere in Oklahoma that is where I’d go since they don’t allow rifle hunting there. Could easily decoy or call one in during November there. My buddy hog hunts alot of private down there and they’re are thick. Wear snake boots though!
Yeah, just got back. Spent most of my time at sandy sanders. The feed plots were all bare. Beautiful place, tons of coyotes, pretty sure I saw lots of bobcat tracks, couldnt call any in though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom