Has anyone tried Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve chronographed my load at 4150 +\- a few fps. It’s pretty destructive on anything it hits.
Always said, speed kills.
#1A light sporter with 20" barrel was such a nice rifle and the 100gr Nosler Partition sure shot good in it too.
Sold it to stop a family crisis, fine rifle
Had a M77 heavy target in .243 that shot the 60gr Sierras better than the NBT over Varget.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found some at a gun store recently and figured I would give them a try. Did a little testing and stumbled across a very accurate load for my Ruger American Predator 308, using 46 gr Varget, Hornady brass, CCI primers and 2.80 col. The bullets are 165 gr. I'm hoping to find some coyotes or hogs to test them out on pretty soon, but curious if anyone here has any experience with them?

The 165gr NBT in .308 is my "go-to" bullet for deer man. You'll do just fine with it.

9 deer, 9 shots. Tough enough to hold together to bust the spine even at hard angles (4 times), fragments enough that double-lungs don't make it more than 50 yards (twice). Heart shots make it about 10 steps (three times).

Usually I get core/jacket separation. The core makes it out the other side, but it looks like a varmint bullet went off in the vitals...raspberry soup. Blood trails aren't going to be as good as other bullets, but when they don't make it out of the field, who cares?

I load mine over 43gr Varget. Stupidly accurate in my FN SPR (half-MOA or a little better out to 300). Matches my 168gr M3 turret for my Leupold Mk 4 out to 400 exactly.

When I messed with the 120gr Nosler BT in the 6.5 Grendel on hogs, I found that it gave fantastic results on the pigs under 150lbs, including my only ever "pink mist" on thermal. Once I got to the big ones, it was a bit lacking...but for deer they will be a phenomenal bullet

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 165gr NBT in .308 is my "go-to" bullet for deer man. You'll do just fine with it.

9 deer, 9 shots. Tough enough to hold together to bust the spine even at hard angles (4 times), fragments enough that double-lungs don't make it more than 50 yards (twice). Heart shots make it about 10 steps (three times).

Usually I get core/jacket separation. The core makes it out the other side, but it looks like a varmint bullet went off in the vitals...raspberry soup. Blood trails aren't going to be as good as other bullets, but when they don't make it out of the field, who cares?

I load mine over 43gr Varget. Stupidly accurate in my FN SPR (half-MOA or a little better out to 300). Matches my 168gr M3 turret for my Leupold Mk 4 out to 400 exactly.

When I messed with the 120gr Nosler BT in the 6.5 Grendel on hogs, I found that it gave fantastic results on the pigs under 150lbs, including my only ever "pink mist" on thermal. Once I got to the big ones, it was a bit lacking...but for deer they will be a phenomenal bullet
Ahh perfect, I was hoping you had done some testing with these. Man that big boar at 1:08 was a tough sucker! lol

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh perfect, I was hoping you had done some testing with these. Man that big boar at 1:08 was a tough sucker! lol

I fell through the ice in a frozen puddle at about 125 yards out and got him going 🤪. Video picked up from there! Only 3 of those 6 hits were in the vitals though IIRC.

I think you'll be pretty happy with their results in game man.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the 120 in a 7mm TCU and 125 on a 300 whisper T/C contender. Mange to kill few deer, no an exit wound but they didn't went to far. My longest shot was 150 yds.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a coyote I shot this morning with an 80 gr Nosler ballistic tip out of my 6creed. Catastrophic damage. If was a frontal at about 160 yds.

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom