Fish Kill!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perplexed - You gave an excellant explanation.WTG:woohoo1:

Thanks, I did pay attention when the professor lectured about that stuff ;)

I am a water and wastewater consultant and help manage millions of gallons of sewage for municipalities in several states.

You'd be the go-to guy for this, then! I just touch upon the topic in a very tangential way in my line of work.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fish kill going on in Lake Texoma. I drive across a creek on my way to work, West of Lebanon Oklahoma, Sat. every thing was fine, today thousands of carp and gar floating. KXII news is doing a story as I write this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad but true. They predicted the fish kill at Texoma coming.

Salt Plains may be next.

The pond next to my house at the neighbors, died last week. It was shallow anyway, but its done.
I've put lots of fish in there over the years. It was a good catch and release pond.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Briarcreekguy - Please keep me updated as to the fish kill at Texoma. Pardon the pun, but dead gar this sounds fishy?????? This sounds more like a toxin in the water rather than no DO. Gar are air breathers.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from Mississippi - where I lived for nearly 30 years, just to check on a pond I built there years ago. I have been raising large mouth bass in that particular pond and with the heat they have been having there too, I just had to go see if my bass were doing okay, especially with my loss here a couple of days ago...

Well, I got in my bass pond with snorkle and fins, found a couple of my "girls" and they were doing just fine...

I built this pond back in 1985 and have managed if for nothing but blue cat and bass. I managed to catch one of the blue cat, just to weigh it and check it's overall health and believe me, this is a REALLY NICE FISH! This one tipped the scales at 52 lbs. and was fat and sassy. This was just one of seven (the only cats in the pond) and when they were all weighed last year and everything about them recorded, the smallest blue was a very fat and healthy 42 lbs. with the biggest werighing in at a few ounces over 64 lbs....

The bass are what this pond is all about though. As of May 2006, the 15 female bass, in this same pond have a combined weight exceeding 150 lbs. No, I'm not exaggerating or making this up. Besides building rifles and hunting handguns, raising very large, large mouth bass (and blue cat) is my second passion...

You could take a solid one pound crappie, tie a line to it and dangle it at the edge of the water with a long cane pole and actually feed the bass this way. Using a barbless hook, this is how I would catch them to record data from each fish caught and tagged...

This pond though, is a VERY HEALTHY PONDand from the design and construction of it, even though not a large pond, the local biologist said this is "one of the healthiest ponds he has ever tested"....

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fish kill going on in Lake Texoma. I drive across a creek on my way to work, West of Lebanon Oklahoma, Sat. every thing was fine, today thousands of carp and gar floating. KXII news is doing a story as I write this.

This isn't surprising. I've been seeing lots of dead fish floating down the Washita, just up from the mouth, over the last couple of weeks. Areas of the Washita have turned green with algae. I'm assuming the fish kill on Texoma will once again be caused by golden algae.

-EDIT- This fish kill at Wilson Creek is being attributed to low oxygen levels in the water also. Didn't notice any gar in the video provided by KXII, but wasn't looking really close for them either. Here's a link to the story....

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/More_Dead_Fish_in_Oklahoma_125460373.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom