Fuel Additives... Or Whatever They Are...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto for engine oil. It has all the additives, detergents, friction modifiers, etc. that are needed and you can actually degrade these by adding the aftermarket additives.

I have to disagree with that.
It used to be true till a couple of years ago when the oil specs were changed. They either removed completely or reduced by a large factor the ZDDP content.
ZDDP is necessary for older engines with flat tappets. It provides a sacrificial coating that protects the metal.
I am forced to buy it on ebay. You could argue that high mileage engines with valve springs that ain't what they used to be many long years ago no longer need it but I believe I should give my baby the oil it was designed to use.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run seafoam in my boat ( twin 502 efi mercruisers) This was recommended by several marine techs. Oreillys has it on sale for $6.99 thru september.

man its (seafoam) went up big time in the past year, iv always bought it by the case and it goes in everthing i got, tractors, backhoes, weedeaters, boat and vehicles but i dont worry a lot about vehicles till they get 60k or 70k...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that.
It used to be true till a couple of years ago when the oil specs were changed. They either removed completely or reduced by a large factor the ZDDP content.
ZDDP is necessary for older engines with flat tappets. It provides a sacrificial coating that protects the metal.
I am forced to buy it on ebay. You could argue that high mileage engines with valve springs that ain't what they used to be many long years ago no longer need it but I believe I should give my baby the oil it was designed to use.

That is the one and only exception for me. If I had an old school street rod without a roller cam I'd be running Amsoil Dominator racing oil. It has the higher level of zinc. Another way to get it is run a dedicated motorcycle oil and some diesel oils have more zinc too.

defender56

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even Wal-Mart carries SeaFoam now. If you like SeaFoam then get some Deep Creep while you are at it. Same product but in an aerosil can. Spray some it in a lawnmower or weed-wacker than you can't start. This is the best kept secret of lawn mower repair shops. I've used it on older vehicles as well. I think the O and Advance Auto Part all carry it. Sorry to get a bit off subject.

Latest posts

Top Bottom