Fuel Additives... Or Whatever They Are...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My truck has reached the 30k mark and I was wondering if there's anything I should put in the tank to clean the fuel system out? Or is that stuff just a bunch of hype?

My MPG is pretty good, actually. But not sure if that means anything or not.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used a dedicated fuel cleaner, but I do throw a can of Seafoam in the gas tank a few times a year, especially before and after he cold months. I'll put it through the brake booster vacuum hose about once a year to throw all the carbon out.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to grab a can of seafoam and start my car and remove a vacuum hose from the TB, and stick it down into the can (slowly and carefully to not kill the running engine). That will clean the carbon out of the induction system.

Cacinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i use seafoam on my excursion and tractor. seems to work well.

maddskillz, as long as you're using a quality gasoline, you should be alright. many of the better brands of gas will add fuel additives already. that being said, it never hurts to get some extra cleaning/treatment.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a 98 jeep cherokee for my g/f when she moved down here for a good deal that had been used and slightly abused. Doesnt like to start on the first crank and even tho its a 4.0L it was only getting like 14 mpg on the highway!

We have since ran a few bottles of lucus and gumout fuel system cleaner through it every time we fill it up from empty and run it to empty with the cleaner in it.

Its now getting 23-24mpg on the highway and 19-20 around town so it must do something haha.

But I also put cleaner stuff in my desiel and have always used the fuel system cleaners from STP and Gumout in my gassers and they have all lasted way longer than other cars my firends have owned.

ETA: this jeep had 159k miles on it when we bought it last month and now has over 161K

Latest posts

Top Bottom