Generator Propane Line Freezing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Been speaking with a friend in Texas who's looking into getting a whole house generator and was asking about my 22KW air-cooled Generac. Apparently, he knows several people who have had issues with the propane supply line freezing in really cold weather. I'm a little confused with this one. Mine was installed three years ago and we've had some pretty cold weather in those years that haven't given me any issues. Being that propane freezes at -306.4* I'm not understanding how this could even happen although I'm aware that "I don't know what I don't know" so if any of you could help me out and explain what might be going on??? He's also been told that when sometime back when they had some serious storms and were without power for close to a week, in that time there were a few people who had their air-cooled Generac Gennies running 24/7....apparently, some of the motors in them burned up from non-stop running? Also sounds fishy to me and if there was an issue with Generac's units NOT being able to run in either Hot or Cold all day and night ya think it would be a topic I'd have run across at some point. So if any of ya'll have input and experience with either of these issues I'd sure appreciate your explaining it to me.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a problem with the regulator on the RV freezing up, read that it wasn't the propane but the inpurities, moisture and other stuff because it not required to be super clean. I put a heat strip around the regulator and didn't have any more problems.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Been speaking with a friend in Texas who's looking into getting a whole house generator and was asking about my 22KW air-cooled Generac. Apparently, he knows several people who have had issues with the propane supply line freezing in really cold weather. I'm a little confused with this one. Mine was installed three years ago and we've had some pretty cold weather in those years that haven't given me any issues. Being that propane freezes at -306.4* I'm not understanding how this could even happen although I'm aware that "I don't know what I don't know" so if any of you could help me out and explain what might be going on??? He's also been told that when sometime back when they had some serious storms and were without power for close to a week, in that time there were a few people who had their air-cooled Generac Gennies running 24/7....apparently, some of the motors in them burned up from non-stop running? Also sounds fishy to me and if there was an issue with Generac's units NOT being able to run in either Hot or Cold all day and night ya think it would be a topic I'd have run across at some point. So if any of ya'll have input and experience with either of these issues I'd sure appreciate your explaining it to me.
If the above ground line is well insulated and the rest buried, there shouldn't be an issue

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking a lack of scheduled servicing could be the issue with them burning up, that and possibly the air vents becoming clogged with debris. Who in their right mind would spend $10K+ on a backup system and not service the darn thing? I know people are bad about servicing their equipment but it’s beyond me why. I had to call Generac when my oil change came due and had a question of what oil to use because I hadn’t reached the hours to switch to synthetic….not even close. He told me the break-in oil is simply standard, non-synthetic oil and let me tell ya that stuff isn’t easy to find. Just about everything out there now is at least a synthetic blend.
As to the freezing that makes perfect sense that’s it’s contaminants in the propane and not the propane itself.

All great info!! 😁

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When propane expands to a gas from a liquid it will freeze. The smaller than tank or the faster the expansion, the faster it will freeze the regulator and lines.

And the smaller the tank the less pressure will be created as the tank cools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom