Getting a Kindle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing how emotional folks get over stupid stuff. Stop the hatin'.

The guy says ipad is out. I'm cool with that. Some of you say it isn't good as a reader. You don't know what you're talking about.

I've been using mine since it came out. I'm at the Command and General Staff College right now. All the pubs are online. Field manuals, Army regulation, Center for Army Lessons Learned articles, etc... all get downloaded and read on my ipad. I've got beaucoup project gutenberg ebooks downloaded and I read every night.

If you don't want one or like them, fine. Your "they suck for reading" comments are obviously not from lots of hands on experience.

I have both and bought my ipad on release day. I love my iPad, but it sucks as a primary e-reader. I'm just glad you know more about this than everyone else in this thread and think that everyone that doesn't share your OPINION either has an agenda or "doesn't know what they're talking about". That is your OPINION and others don't necessarily share it.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both and bought my ipad on release day. I love my iPad, but it sucks as a primary e-reader. I'm just glad you know more about this than everyone else in this thread and think that everyone that doesn't share your OPINION either has an agenda or "doesn't know what they're talking about". That is your OPINION and others don't necessarily share it.

You're taking this a little personally. I really don't care what anybody uses to read ebooks on. Similarly, some don't share your or other's no-ipad opinion.

Isn't the interwebz wonderful?

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're taking this a little personally. I really don't care what anybody uses to read ebooks on. Similarly, some don't share your or other's no-ipad opinion.

Isn't the interwebz wonderful?

"hey guys what you say doesn't work for you works for me therefore you clearly have no experience with what works for me"

<gets called out on how dumb that statement is>

"oh wait what no I was just stating my opinion"

:rolleyes:

E: Seriously, the popularity of non-backlit solutions lately should tell you something about how many people suffer eye strain from reading on a backlit screen for long periods of time. As someone who's read papers, code, etc on computer screens extensively for years I can tell you it sure bothers me in ways e-ink doesn't.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"hey guys what you say doesn't work for you works for me therefore you clearly have no experience with what works for me"

<gets called out on how dumb that statement is>

"oh wait what no I was just stating my opinion"

:rolleyes:

I'm sure you think that briefs well. Problem is that it isn't what I said.

E: Seriously, the popularity of non-backlit solutions lately should tell you something about how many people suffer eye strain from reading on a backlit screen for long periods of time. As someone who's read papers, code, etc on computer screens extensively for years I can tell you it sure bothers me in ways e-ink doesn't.

The popularity of the non-backlit solutions? They came out first. They're cheap. Backlighting adds cost. The biggest gripe about Kindle when it came out was that it wasn't backlit.

I suggested an ipad as an alternative (based on my experience). You would think I suggest a went to a 1911 forum and suggested a Glock, based on the responses. "That's a terrible suggestion" "I effin hate it when somebody suggests an ipad".

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The popularity of the non-backlit solutions? They came out first. They're cheap. Backlighting adds cost. The biggest gripe about Kindle when it came out was that it wasn't backlit.

A good non-backlit solution is not cheap.

The gripes were before people had used them enough to realize the difference in eyestrain.

I don't read books often, but I've looked at my sister-in-law's Kindle. After a few minutes, I was sold on the idea of a non-backlit screen for reading being much easier on the eyes.

I spend all day reading code. I think I'd know an eyestrain reducer when I see one.

As for the iPad itself, I avoid Apple products like the plague. They are cheaply made, way the hell overpriced, and lock you into their walled garden. Most people talk about how superior they are only as a means to keep convincing themselves over and over that the waste of money was worth it.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kindle is the best. ereader. ever.

Happy now?

Nothing against the iPad (or other tablets, laptops, smart phones, etc with eReader apps), but this is, in my opinion, the truth. Not because of the additional functions and features (or lack thereof), but because of the e-Ink screen. It looks like the page has been ripped straight from the book and placed underneath a sheet of glass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom