Ghost Pepper Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ghost Peppers are tough plants to grow. They take a looonnnggg time to mature. I've had years where I didn't even get any fruits. The good years will hold you over though.

Pro tip - Mix some sand in with your soil.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Davidson's on Memorial...to the West of TLC. That's where I bought my Carolina Reaper and he's growing like a weed!!!

Try Davidson's.

I was a little sneaky about this...my wife banned...yes BANNED me from growing Carolina Reapers after the "incident" that happened to two of my buddies who: 1. Weren't familiar with the Reaper but love Skorpion, Ghost, Brain Strain...etc. 2. I don't think they've eaten ANYTHING hotter than a jalapeno after the "incident".

The "incident" happened a few years ago at my house. They both put a whole pepper in their mouth, chewed it up, and swallowed it.

It scared my wife almost sh!tless. She thought one was having a stroke and the other ran around the house..first screaming he couldn't hear over the ringing in his ears and then spraying his mouth and body with the water hose for about 30 minutes.

THAT'S why she banned me. She doesn't want a lawsuit if I hurt someone. I'm growing it for "fun"...really if we have a chili cook off this fall at work ..there may be 2 or 3 Reapers that somehow...someway...fell into my chili???!!!

chili_seeds_carolina_reaper.jpg

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I plan on goby some of those places this weekend.

For those who grew them, what are some recipes you use them in?

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gmar..........Potting Mix...not potting soil....potting mix. Potting mix is a "loose' and "airy" type soil that doesn't compact and hold water in the soil. After I plant the pepper, I sprinkle 1 cap full(from the bottle) of osmocote on top of the soil around the plant...the green label for flowers and vegetables.

Use a large...5 gallon bucket size pot or even a five gallon bucket...if you're putting it in a pot. Make sure the pot or bucket has no more than two "Penny Nail" size holes in the bottom. I water...but my plant is on my front porch in 70-80% sunlight..I water no more than every two days. I make sure it has been watered thoroughly BUT it drains very well!! Again..this is in a pot and when it's windy I put it in the front porch doorway so the wind won't damage it.

I use to plant peppers in a garden and had a variety but not anymore. I planted them under some large oak trees so the were in semi-direct sunlight and really used my "scientific knowledge" to grow them ...fertilizer, pruning, epsom salt, stress the plant with lack of water to produce hotter peppers...etc.

YouTube is an EXCELLENT source and I wish it was around back in the 1980's when I was a fanatic with peppers.

Grow it and have fun!!!

Little history lesson: Ever notice how pepper and chili are used alot...as in chili pepper??

When ol' Christopher Columbus was searching for a direct/shorter route to India and other places, one of the spices he wanted was pepper...as in pepper corn/black pepper.

Well ol' Chris didn't make it to India and other points he was looking for ...he landed in the New World and they grew..the Chili.

I guess when he ate a CHILI the heat reminded him of a... PEPPER. Now days the two words are used separately or together

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Davidson's on Memorial...to the West of TLC. That's where I bought my Carolina Reaper and he's growing like a weed!!!

Ive wanted to get a reaper plant ever since I heard Ed Curry talk about them with with Sean Evans. Supposed to be really tasty but like most other sane people I could do without the insane hot stuff. Any way you've found to tame the heat and still get the flavor?

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tyromeo55:

Never knew you could tame a pepper and why would you want to? Taming the flavor of a Reaper is like putting a 1979 Toyota 4 cylinder in a new 2020 Corvette.....why???

To me...and this is my opinion; The way I look at peppers is like drinking coffee. Different blends of coffee and different flavors/heat levels of peppers. Mild- Jalapeno... to eating it or mix it in salsa-Serrano..semi hot-Peter Pepper and the Datil( Short for that will do it) to the Habanero and it's cousin the Scotch Bonnet .....................all the way to "Dante's Inferno" the Carolina Reaper.

I guess if a person wanted a "tame" pepper they'd sample the Habanero and go down the scale of Scoville Heat Units to the Serrano.

Never really realized the Reaper had flavor. I know the Habanero does but not the Reaper....never kept it in my mouth -duration wise- to find out it's flavor

When I bite into a Reaper ... Hell Fire and Brimstone kicks in. :censored: Then 4-7, seconds later I go into a transcendental state in which there is neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self, and then I am released from the effects of karma and the cycle of death and rebirth. About a minute later I enter a stage of regret followed immediately by fear and panic....ending several hours later of:
I'll NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Then a new day begins and I tell myself...Do it, try another, you can do it...as I reach for another Reaper...only to start the "cycle of insanity" again.........................:yikes2:

oejp5n-b88801724z.120161004155644000glnj0upi.70.jpg

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like peppers, but not pain. So jalapenos raw and sliced are good. If I cook them or put in pickled eggs or something, they get toned down so much I am usually disappointed.

I once made pickled eggs with serranos because they were out of jalapenos at the store. I had never had them, and I used them just like I would jalapenos - I put about 5 or 6 sliced up, seeds and all, into a gallon jar of pickled eggs.

Ended up throwing most of those out, it was way too hot. In retrospect, doing probably 2 sliced into a gallon jar might have been a better plan. From what I've seen, though, serranos are highly variable in their heat level. This is the problem... unless you're brave enough to eat one (or part of one) raw, you really don't know how hot "this one" is.

I need to do some more pickled eggs...

Latest posts

Top Bottom