Glock 19 G3 or G4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Below is what Larry had to say about the Gen 3 vs the Gen 4. My trigger finger isn't sensitive enough to notice a difference in trigger weight or feel. Both Gens require grip work done on them before they fit my hand, I hate the finger grooves. I love the mag release on the Gen 4 though. So all that said, I currently carry the Gen 3 19.

"Larry Vickers Offline
Subject Matter Expert

Quote:
I got a Gen 4 17 for my show - here's my take;

1) I like the smaller grip as I have small hands - although not as small as that jabronie in the pic

2)I wish the rough texture was more agressive - it is better than a stock gen 3 but not as much as it could be

3) The mag release is better but rude sharp - somebody at Glock feels that only guns with sharp edges will please the Fuhrer and it shows - I radiused mine immediately

4) The interchangable backstrap system is lame and is dramatically inferior to the S&W M&P or Hk P30/P2000/HK45 series - poor effort

5) The big question is will the recoil spring setup help the 40 and hurt the 9mm in terms of functional reliability- verdict is still out on that but my gut feeling is depending on ammo used the answer will be yes

6) The trigger on mine is dramatically heavier than a gen 3 G17 - noticed it right away

Overall i give the gun a C minus - If i had to choose I would pick a gen 3 with some tweaks anyday over the gen 4

my .02 cents

cheers

LAV"

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had probably 10 Glock 19's. I had one that had pretty bad brass ejection issues and the rest have been fine. I prefer the grip on the gen4 and currently own 2 of them. Zero failures, only the ejection problem. Never had one stop on me, I would estimate 10,000 rounds the last three years shot from 19's for me.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've probably had 6-7 Glock 19s. I like the trigger a little better on a stock gen-3 but not enough to keep me from going with a gen-4. The ergos, mag release and third mag on the gen-4 seal the deal for me. You honestly can't go wrong with either if it's NIB.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lean personally to the Gen 3. Fits my hand well. For those with smaller hands a no-backstrap added Gen 4 does them better. For really big hands put a "sock" on a Gen 3 or a big backstrap on the Gen 4. I have owned 19's all the way to the late 1980's; the 19 is the most functional for carry use. The 19 is extremely dependable. I've put well over 10,000 rounds through them with no problems. I do replace the recoil spring every few thousand rounds. The only thing I do is add night sights if they aren't already there. I do carefully deburr the plastic frame mold line if it needs it. Most recent ones do not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom