Got 10 miles from the house and...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lost my wife once.

Bear hunting in Arkansas. She was in the valley, I was up on the ridge. I kept telling her to work her way north and we would meet up on top where the ridge met the cut she was in. Well, I was easing, she was walking. She passed me up and I kept telling her to come on up... she went way way way up. Finally it was to the point where I had to make some big noise to see if she could hear it, she couldnt. I finally had to fire off the rifle so she could tell where I was.

I still have to hear about it almost every year for the past 13 or so...

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were in Colo. for elk. My buddy comes walking I to camp at sunset, notices he doesn't have his rifle. He had been sitting under a tree looking over a narrow canyon and went to sleep. He woke up and walked off without his rifle. ?????
We went and looked, couldn't find where he had left it.

Next day, we go into town (40 miles) to buy a rifle. Looking through the 'used' rack, he is telling the shop owner about his stupidly. Owner asked him, "what kind of rifle?" Tell him, Rem 700 .338 Mag. The guy laughs and reaches under the counter. "Like this one?"

A hunter had seen this rifle leaning against a tree and turned it in that morning.

-------------------------------------

OK, not hunting or gun related, but I will tell on myself.

After retiring at 50, got bored a year and a half later. The wife thought? it would be good to be truck driver and travel the country.
Had a load going to the Does Moines Wally world to deliver at 5am. Drove all night, while she slept.
Make the delivery and head to truck stop for breakfast.
Get 15 miles down the road and hear the phone ringing in the sleeper. It rings and rings, I slap the closed curtain and holler, "you going to answer that?"
Ringing stops.
Ringing starts.
I manage to pull off the road and pull curtain back, THE SLEEPER IS EMPTY!!!!!!¡

Holy crap, I haul a$$ back to wally world.
The wife is out front, crying, begging for change or a phone.

She woke up and went inside to the restroom. Had to walk around the store to the front, couldn't get in at back.
She was coming back and sees truck driving off. In sweats and parka, no purse, no phone, not even sure where she is.

Yes, 120acres, I still hear about it.

I did make a sign to hang on the steering wheel. We quit the road a year later.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the one I'm really embarrassed about.
We were goose hunting and it was the last group of the afternoon. I winged one and glided over to another pond a few hundred yards away. The rest of the guys help pick up the dekes and got them back to the truck.
I told them to go ahead cause I wanted to go look for the bird. I spent about 30 min looking for the bird and it was getting dark. I stomped off to the truck pissed and tired.
When I get to the truck I lay my gun down, throw the dekes in the back and drive off.
It was two days later before I realized I had driven off and left my gun laying on the ground.
We had parked by an oil lease road so I guess I shouldn't be surprised when it wasn't there.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to the blind in the evening of opening day and realized I had never swapped out my practice tips with broadheads and had none in my pack. Lesson learned!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go back and get it if it was just 10 miles!

My dad always said "Do you have your pants and gun & ammo/bow & release? You can make do without anything else. Let's go." When I would do my OCD gear checks.

Couple years ago my buddy and I fly into SeaTac for a week of fly fishing. Rental car, camping and cooking out of two checked bags. We worked really hard on minimalist packing, checking and re-checking our gear. He had given me his fly rods and I packed them in my tube with mine.

My sister picks us up and takes us to the airport. 4:00 a.m. so she is not pleased. It hits me a couple miles from the airport. The ******* fly rod tube is leaning in the corner of my living room. They thought I was kidding.

I instantly weigh the odds. Getting pulled over would make us late, but odds are we won't get pulled over. I tell my sister to speed and I'll pay the ticket if she gets one. We skid to a stop and I barrel through the door, scaring the hell out of my girlfriend who was dozing on the couch after seeing me off. We made it with little time to spare and I get pulled by TSA because in all the hubbub, I left my liquids in my carry on...

Rough travel morning. Lawl. I should mention I had just gotten over the flu and was really busy trying to get out of town.

Latest posts

Top Bottom