Got pulled over tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Welfare Check" may be common practice...but it is my opinion that it is against the law & more importantly a violation of the Bill of Rights. I don't like it, and I don't agree with it. And, I will speak out against unlawful stops and detainment. At least when I get old and find myself under rule of dictatorship, I will be able to say I did not stand silent, I resisted and attempted to educate those around me. This is how I see it.

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

It was a simple check to make sure that there were no other larger problems. He had a reasonable articulatable (I can not spell) suspicion. The officer did not try to harass him about. He explained the reason he was speaking with him, had his suspicions eliminated and let it be. It was legal and sounds like good police work to me.
What would had happened if it would have been a stolen truck and he just let it drive past him? How would you feel about it then?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Welfare Check" may be common practice...but it is my opinion that it is against the law & more importantly a violation of the Bill of Rights. I don't like it, and I don't agree with it. And, I will speak out against unlawful stops and detainment. At least when I get old and find myself under rule of dictatorship, I will be able to say I did not stand silent, I resisted and attempted to educate those around me. This is how I see it.

Then they came for me

:bigeye: OK, whatever.

But let me just say that as a "victim" of a welfare check many years ago, I will be forever grateful that Texas officer decided to stop the car I was in, as opposed to driving right on by on his way to the donut shop.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a friend of mine was pulled over by the asher officer. why? going a couple mph over........a couple of weeks later, pulled over again. why? going 5 under.....reason given...suspicious activity!?????

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why? going 5 under.....reason given...suspicious activity!?????

Driving under the speed limit can be a reason to make a stop. That's one of the signs of impaired driving. They could be drunk, under the influence of narcotics, or going into a diabetic crisis. Plus, this is second hand info. Unless you were with your friend you really don't know what else was going on.....

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me make it simple for you ... No, probable cause is not needed to stop someone.

How do you figure? Or do you just mean in practice, as in, the cop can just manufacture probable cause?

Because yes, there does need to be some probable cause to stop someone.

Driving under the speed limit can be a reason to make a stop. That's one of the signs of impaired driving. They could be drunk, under the influence of narcotics, or going into a diabetic crisis. Plus, this is second hand info. Unless you were with your friend you really don't know what else was going on.....

lol

"Well he wasn't breaking the law, so I figured he had to have been breaking the law".

The system is broken when that suddenly is an adequate excuse to harass the citizenry.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score

Then they came for me

Is someone coming to put you in a KZ?

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
It was a simple check to make sure that there were no other larger problems. He had a reasonable articulatable (I can not spell) suspicion. The officer did not try to harass him about. He explained the reason he was speaking with him, had his suspicions eliminated and let it be. It was legal and sounds like good police work to me.
What would had happened if it would have been a stolen truck and he just let it drive past him? How would you feel about it then?

In all fairness to Chelsea's finest That is pretty much my take on it.
Had the guy been wearing his asshat and been a jackwagon about it then I would have taken it up with the city.
I found out later it was the "acting" Chief of Police that pulled me over. We have an "acting" chief now because the previous illegal drug crusader chief recently got busted for prescription drug fraud (Oh, the ironing). Of course had the department where he had worked before taken the proper action when he got caught doing the same he probably wouldn't have been hired

We did have a good laugh about it the next day I was BSing about it with one of the city councilors (also a co-worker) and one of the reserve officers I've know for 35+ years when he pulled up. We gave him a good natured ration of s%$! about it and had a laugh.
If nothing else they now know we operate 24-7 out of this little office.

On a side note, I'd be seriously torqued if my van got stolen. They are replacing vans and pickups in my work group with Priuses. Pryus? pious? ptewy?

Latest posts

Top Bottom