Granddaughter Took State!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shell and Exxon, each have a LARGE refinery in Houston. The ship channel divides the 2. An employee that has a top rated student in football, or other sport, seems to get transferred to Houston. Been happening since the '60s.

Programs, coaches can make a difference, the individual is the most important item in the equation.

We are a 2A school, went to State a few years back (future grandson-in-law was wrestling). One of his team mates won State, in his weight class.

Don't make excuses for failure, set goals, make plans for success and put forth the effort.

Larry Bird, Pete Rose and others, were known, said to not be great athletes, but were known for their work ethic and not giving up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations!! That’s top notch!

My second time around with a grandson too.

I’ll miss it after he graduates. This week its all on the line.
You'll have to find another group of athletes to "adopt" and go watch lol. I still go to HS track meets and basketball games even a couple years after my daughter graduated. It's like it's just a habit to go watch and can't break the habit lol. I'm sure I'll still do the same after my son graduates.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank You. I know what a heartbreak that is for your wreslter. I hope he has another year or even two.

Oklahoma wrestling has evolved a lot from the year 2000 when my own youngest graduated. All classes are tough but 6A is brutal. It’s like having three prep schools or three Tuttle programs in your class. Edmond North literally blanked Tuttle this year. And Tuttle literally blanked our school in duels. We have just our one qualifier.

21 of the 28 finalists last year came from three schools. We, like most, will have all three in our bracket at state.

Translation - two, possibly three, of the top spots on the podium are all but decided. Of the ten wrestlers in a 6A State bracket, seven of the other top wrestlers in Oklahoma will be scrapping for the lower spots on the podium. Of course they’ll all be wrestling to win, but the chances are slim.

Why, because partners are everything in wrestling.

Yet no stopping kids and parents gravitating to successful programs. All serious wrestlers are hoping for scholarships to wrestle in college. So there is that. But one program’s gain is another program’s loss.

I have the highest respect for homegrown programs for that reason. I even have respect for those programs attracting move-ins. They are attractive for a reason. It is what it is, and every sport has its politics. But you can’t help but feel for the program whose last year’s state placer or state champion is found in another line-up next season.

Yes, my son lost his varsity spot last year to a kid who transferred here. After one season, he left to go Edmond North and committed to Navy as a Jr. Know a handful of those guys on the current team, and a few recent graduates. North is ridiculously dominant. 3rd in the nation. All but a single wrestler took 1st at 6A regionals, and he was runner up. Hell, some of their JV kids are state placers and nationally ranked. Most of the parents were dominant wrestlers as well. Dr's with cauliflower ear, cant say I've seen that anywhere else. Mine is a jr, so we have one more year, but he is a two sport athlete, wont give up baseball. He's right at the verge of being dominant at either sport, just needs to give it a little more, but I think he's getting a taste for it, and will do more work off-season to give himself a chance next year.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, my son lost his varsity spot last year to a kid who transferred here. After one season, he left to go Edmond North and committed to Navy as a Jr. Know a handful of those guys on the current team, and a few recent graduates. North is ridiculously dominant. 3rd in the nation. All but a single wrestler took 1st at 6A regionals, and he was runner up. Hell, some of their JV kids are state placers and nationally ranked. Most of the parents were dominant wrestlers as well. Dr's with cauliflower ear, cant say I've seen that anywhere else. Mine is a jr, so we have one more year, but he is a two sport athlete, wont give up baseball. He's right at the verge of being dominant at either sport, just needs to give it a little more, but I think he's getting a taste for it, and will do more work off-season to give himself a chance next year.
I heard Coach Finn say he thought if you let him pick an all-star line up in Oklahoma (any class) that he didn’t think that team could beat Edmond North. I know most of them and I think he’s correct. Many other coaches in Oklahoma have said they are the most dominant line-up they’ve ever seen in High School. Schnieder entered a collage tournament over Christmas break and won the whole thing! Didn’t take him ling to pin us.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll have to find another group of athletes to "adopt" and go watch lol. I still go to HS track meets and basketball games even a couple years after my daughter graduated. It's like it's just a habit to go watch and can't break the habit lol. I'm sure I'll still do the same after my son graduates.
Okie, you are right about that. This is my oldest grandchild. He has two younger sisters and I have 6 other grandchildren. All are competing and five at high level. Soccer, Track, Cross-Country, even basketball. No girls wrestling though, so wrestling is over after next year, other than college.

The OP has a lot to be proud of. Watching those girls nowadays I see their level of wrestling improve year over year!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The OP has a lot to be proud of. Watching those girls nowadays I see their level of wrestling improve year over year!
Yes he does. 😉 And you should see her compete in Jiu Jitsu. She’s so flexible it’s like trying to submit a plate of spaghetti.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes he does. 😉 And you should see her compete in Jiu Jitsu. She’s so flexible it’s like trying to submit a plate of spaghetti.

We have some of the best jiu jitsu tacticians in the country here in OK to go along with our wrestlers. Not bad at Judo either. Does she go somewhere in OKC? I used to, need to get back into it, but my sister in laws brother is part owner/partner at the new gym Blackout BJJ in Moore, my father in law had his purple belt under Lavato, and my son works with Brandon Shelton at Shelton Wrestling Program, and he has several dominant girl wrestlers who also compete at Jiu Jitsu, Justin Rader does as well.

I heard Coach Finn say he thought if you let him pick an all-star line up in Oklahoma (any class) that he didn’t think that team could beat Edmond North. I know most of them and I think he’s correct. Many other coaches in Oklahoma have said they are the most dominant line-up they’ve ever seen in High School. Schnieder entered a collage tournament over Christmas break and won the whole thing! Didn’t take him ling to pin us.

Which Finn lol. Whichever one it was is 100% right, they are a good bunch. You'd be hard pressed to build a team in the country that could beat Edmond North. My son grew up wrestling against/with Goodin, they worked out in the same room before they moved to EN. Rutledge has a shot at making the world team this year, barely missed it last year.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok gotta ask do the girls just wrestle girls or are males included in the matches............l haven't kept up on this sport
This young lady is a 2x state champ in the boys division. Not sure how competitive Maine is, like I said in a previous post, I’ve seen state champs and placers come from other states to compete here and go home winless.

Attachments

• IMG_3609.png
    IMG_3609.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

4 from EN places in the consolation finals. The rest are wrestling for 1st/2nd. I think it’s the first time a team has had a placer at every weight.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grandson came in 2nd in 4A today. Hoped for better but that’s the way this particular sport goes.

One of his teammates was the Arkansas state champion last year. Came to Oklahoma and didn’t even qualify.

Tuttle had one Individual State Champion this year, Beau Hickman, but ran up enough points to win the overall championship. I think this was year 16 straight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom