Gun for my daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A J-frame for home defense? Really? If it's not going to be carried, I certainly wouldn't consider a J-frame. If she's comfortable with the Glock, get her a 19 or 17. High capacity, night sights and/or light, simple, etc...And seriously...a home defense gun that is going to get so dirty it's not going to function?

Now, if she really does not want a semi-auto, get a revolver larger than a J. Smith or Ruger would be my choice. No reason to get a little carry gun with hard to see sights for home defense. Notice I mentioned sights again...it's hard to make good hits in the dark without night sights or a light!

All that being said, I'd let her have a say in what gun she gets...she needs to feel comfortable with it. I've found that when someone gets a "gun of their own" they are more interested in shooting and learning to use it. The best thing you could give her would be enrollment in a good training class.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its been said here already but +1 for glock. My G19 is either with me or ready to rock in my residence.

Shotty's are great but even an 18.5 incher is unwieldy compared to a handgun. Plus, they take 2 hands to run, leaving you unable to effectively work a light, cell phone, door knob ect.

Just my .02

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns are like pantiliners: pick them out for someone else, and she's likely to be uncomfortable and not use them. If you want a gun to leave with her, let her find one that fits her hand and which she enjoys shooting so she'll practice with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom