Gunman opens fire at school board meeting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to present a scenario for discussion.

Let's say that it WAS legal for someone to carry in that room who was NOT in his line of fire (sitting at the table in front of gunman). Would they still have to wait until the gunman discharge a round before they can consider themselves in harms way and return fire?

I do not believe you have to wait until a shot is fired to be in harms way. This is often a fine line of discussion but if someone is pointing a gun at your or anyone you have the right to defend yourself.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV I have a hypothetical question.

Say the woman did have a gun, and she did shoot the gunman. How does this play out? Technically she is in commission of a felony by possessing the gun right? And so how does that affect her taking out the gunman?

This is the interesting question.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last thing on my mind with a gun in my face is some BS law. If i was behind the desk and had a gun, im shooting. The lady with the PURSE attack is very lucky she is still with us today. Truth be known i would have won any summer olympics track event once i seen the gun.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the hell good did that woman think she was gonna do with that purse attack? I realize I'm armchair QB'ing but dang.

Did you see the women in the audience taking time to gather their stuff and walk out totally exposed when a gun fight could have broken out at any minute? Is your paperwork and ugly coat that valuable? The 2 women on the far side hit the deck quick. If he would have wanted to kill people, coat gathering woman would have been dead and crawling woman would probably make it out.

I don't think the guy intended to shoot anybody, it had to be a suicide by cop.

I gotta say the guy in the middle there had some guts where he was trying to talk to shooter into dealing with only him and letting his co-workers go since he was the one who would have signed off on his wife's job termination or whatever it was

No doubt. Coolest head in the room, and had the most bawls.

On a related note, how would a CCW come into play here without legal repercussions? I know, some of you will say "Better judged by 12 than carried by 6," but let's just focus on the legal aspect. If you had a CCW and were in that room, and the gunman pulled out his weapon but did not point it at you or even confront you directly, what would be considered a justified response on your part? What if you were in the general public seating section - that is, behind the gunman - and you heard him order everyone but the council members to leave? (I don't know if he actually said that since I cannot hear the audio portion of the video; I just noticed the room had cleared out quickly). Could you do anything legally with your CCW if you did not know the council members, and your life was not in immediate danger? If the gunman's back is to you and his weapon was pointed away from you at all times, would you be justified in drawing your CCW and firing at him, rather than just exiting the room with the rest of the public?

That question can't be answered. Nobody knows, each case is different. Who know if charges will be filed, if they will hold up, if you'd win in court? Nobody. Charges are filed and dismissed, charges are not filed, cases are won and cases are lost. Nobdy knows in advance unless it's REALLY clear cut, even then it's not 100%.

That being said, if I'm in a room with a crazed gunman, my 2 options are sneaking the hell out of there or finding something to incapacitate the guy with. Whichever one I think has higher odds of me living. I will not be thinking about laws, I will be thinking of how to get out without being shot.

Because deep down inside, a large segment of our society are cowards. They are cowering sheep just waiting for the bullet that has their name on it. Obviously the woman with the purse is not in that category. Kudos to her!

I guess I'm a coward, because I'd probably do whatever I could to get out of that room witout getting shot. I'd like to think I'd save the day, but it's easier to say on the internet and be certain that's what you'd do when it happens. I don't know. I do know I'd pick the option I thought had the highest odds of me living.

Her bravery didn't do anything but escalate the situation. Calm talking guy did more than she did. She would have been dead if he wanted to kill her. If I had a gun or a 3 foot section of steel pipe, I'd go after the guy. If I had a handbag and no fighting skills, my ass is out of that room ASAP (if no family was in it). Sorry.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The attorney that gave us our CCW training at H&H was presented with a scenario of a gunman holding up a convenience store. I asked, "If I were at the back of the store where the gunman couldn't see me, am I considered in eminent danger?"

He said (paraphrasing) that the moment you see that gun, you are justified in taking him out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The attorney that gave us our CCW training at H&H was presented with a scenario of a gunman holding up a convenience store. I asked, "If I were at the back of the store where the gunman couldn't see me, am I considered in eminent danger?"

He said (paraphrasing) that the moment you see that gun, you are justified in taking him out.

That would depend on whether the intervening objects are cover, or merely concealment. Bullets are rather indiscriminate.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the movies, a bag of chips is cover.

In that room, being low to the ground and behind ANY concealment would have made you much less likely to catch a bullet than the women standing upright and gathering coats and paperwork. I don't care if it's a sheet of cardboard, I'd rather be crawling behind it than standing upright in front of it with my arms full of worthless sh*t.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In that room, being low to the ground and behind ANY concealment would have made you much less likely to catch a bullet than the women standing upright and gathering coats and paperwork. I don't care if it's a sheet of cardboard, I'd rather be crawling behind it than standing upright in front of it with my arms full of worthless sh*t.

Agreed. Another option would be to sprint out of the room at full speed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom