Is Tulsa's mail delivery about to get significantly slower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — "The mail matters to me," said Cynthia McNeilance.

A postal worker for 34 years, McNeilance is sounding the alarm about changes coming to Tulsa's mail service.

"It will slow the mail down at least two to three days sending it to Oklahoma City and then sending it back here," shesaid.

She's talking about the implementation of the plan known as "Delivering for America."

"The postal service is indispensable but for the past ten years we have recorded large financial losses," said US Postmaster General Louis DeJoy in a video touting the plan.

"You will see that we turn what would be 160 billion dollar ten year loss into a ten year net positive position. We will be able to achieve 95% on-time delivery across our mail and shipping categories within one year of implementing our plan," he said.

But that 95% on time, says McNeilance, needs to be put into perspective.

"In the last three years service has deteriorated so badly that instead of rising to meet the level that we used to have they just lowered the bar and said we’ll be more reliable because we’re not expected to get it there in three days," she said.

"Used to you could mail letter in Tulsa and they’d get it the next day, now it’s taking two, three days," said Ellen Diamond. She has been a postal clerk for 27 years.

"We’ve already noticed a slowdown in the mail and if they do this it’s going to be, it’s going to double the slow down," she said.

"We are hoping that we can get the city council to get behind us and say this is not acceptable for Tulsa or for Oklahoma City," said McNeilance.

"I’m proposing a resolution at this Wednesday’s meeting," said Tulsa city councilor Grant Miller, meeting us at the site of Tulsa first post office at 41st and Troost which opened 145 years ago today.

"On this day actually in 1879 we got our first post office," he said.

His resolution is asking that the public comment period be extended to weigh in on the plan taking effect.

"At the local level we don’t really have any say over it, all we can say is, 'Hey this is going to harm our residents," he said.

"If your mail is time sensitive, like your income tax forms or maybe your insurance payment," said McNeilance.

The plan is set to go into effect in Tulsa this July, unless Cynthia and company can deliver a knockout.

https://ktul.com/news/local/is-tulsas-mail-delivery-about-to-get-significantly-slower#

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Service under my watch has gone to hell, and I alone can fix it. Just trust me and look the other way" says Louis Dejoy who wants to get rid of the USPS.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything i get already goes to Tulsa and then to OK city then to McAlister. before getting to my PO.
I ordered a gun part from Alabama. It shipped from the point of origin to Birmingham. From Birmingham to Dallas. From Dallas to Tulsa. From Tulsa back to Dallas. From Dallas back to Tulsa. From Tulsa to BA. Truly a govt enterprise.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and the plan is to go with all electric delivery vehicles; what can possibly go wrong with that?
The mail delivery routes are actually the one thing that electric vehicles are well suited to do. The routes are generally low speed and not long, the vehicles return to a central location at the end of the day, and they remain in that location overnight. Converting that fleet to electric could actually realize savings—you eliminate a lot of maintenance and volatility in fuel pricing.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
The mail delivery routes are actually the one thing that electric vehicles are well suited to do. The routes are generally low speed and not long, the vehicles return to a central location at the end of the day, and they remain in that location overnight. Converting that fleet to electric could actually realize savings—you eliminate a lot of maintenance and volatility in fuel pricing.
…until they burst into flames and the mail is burned due to battery failure.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
…until they burst into flames and the mail is burned due to battery failure.

Or won't charge b/c it's 20 degrees outside.

Or discharge after an hour running the A/C or heater.

Or cost 20k to replace the batteries or 60k to replace the vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom