Has anybody here had ankle surgery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having surgery next Tuesday to put a plate in my ankle to repair a fracture. Anybody had this done? I'd like to know what to expect afterward. I would assume that putting screws in your anklebone to be less than comfortable.

Getting old sucks.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had complete ankle-foot reconstruction surgery done in Nov. ( 5 incisions) Wasn't bad at all, and was completely off pain meds after a couple of days. Get one of those knee scooters. Much better than crutches. Be sure to do therapy and you shouldn't have any problems. I have a slight limp, but much better than before surgery.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen the knee scooters. They look like they would be easier to deal with than the crutches. Unfortunately, the knee on that side is not great, and is actually what caused me to break the ankle. At this point, I'm ready to do whatever therapy or anything else it takes. I don't like pain medication, and only take it if I can't make do otherwise.

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad you got better.

Isn't Sulphur down in the southeast? My dad's family all came from around Hugo and Soper.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had 2 screws put in my ankle in September 2011. It was not that terrible. Off pain meds after a few days, crutches for a month or two. Then slowly getting back on feet.

Damn you hello kitty!!!

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had reconstruction on my left ankle in October of '92. Reattached a ligament and put in some screws; it has been fine. Worst part was the crutches for six weeks or so and missing deer season. :teehee:

Cedar Creek

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had five, yes five surgeries on and around my ankle resulting from an Achilles tendon tear. As a result, I limp, my friggin' ankle hurts all the damn time, and I have had to modify my stance at the range. I got screws and plates, and things all in me. One Doc said he was thinking about amputation; I fired his ass.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Busted mine a few years ago. Impact fracture, broke both leg bones right above the ankle joint. Had to have 4 screws run through the ball at the end of my tibia and a plate swrewed to the outside of my fibula to put it back together. Twelve weeks after of absolutley no weight on it and keeping it in a boot, the PT started. The best advice I have is do exactly what the therapist says. No more, no less. It sometimes bothers me when weather changes and if my leg gets really cold the plate can hurt. I took about 2 years for me to say if felt good again. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom