Have a friend looking for a CCW .45 acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W 1911 scandium frame with a 4.25 inch barrel. If that is too heavy, then his expectations need recalibration. Slim, 45acp, lightweight; if that doesn't describe the old colt lightweight (alloy frame) commander as prescribed by Jeff Cooper then he needs some recalibration or an afternoon at the range renting and shooting different pistols. If your technique is good, an alloy frame 1911 shouldn't be a problem to shoot well. If technique is bad, get your buddy to a serious training course ASAP.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own and shoot a variety of 45's from 1911's Springfield XD service, HK USPc and Taurus PT-945. The Taurus is the slimmest of them all and a very good shooter. It is SA/DA with decocker and can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 which is how I normally carry it. If I carry a 45 now, that is the go to weapon. It is not a light weight weapon but is somewhat smaller than the 1911 and with the stainless construction I don't worry about rust from sweat. Blitzfike

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The slimmest would be the recently announced Kahr pistols in 45 ACP. I have carried the Glock-36 but finally opted for a Kahr PM-9 in 9mm several years ago. If the Kahr was avalabkle at that time in 45 ACP I would have considered it.

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than trying to find a older S&W, your friend is stuck with either the Glock or a Kahr. Find a range/friend that he can rent/borrow each one from and try them out. I've found that after you have someone shoot a .45 ACP out of a small handgun, they start to realize that a little heavier isn't all that bad.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tad,

I regularly carry a G36, as well as a G30SF. The 36 is a fine CCW, the previous "slapping your hand with a brick" analogy is a little exaggerated. I shoot my 36 quite a bit and don't have a problem. The 30 is extremely accurate, but the 36 is much easier to tote around. I cannot think of a better big-bore carry gun. It is lightweight, feeds hollow-points with ease, and has the same capacity as most full-size 1911's. Small guns are hard to execute well, (reduced slide-mass, shortened recoil-spring etc...), and I think that the Glock design is a better platform when considering a big-bore mini.

Latest posts

Top Bottom