HELP!.... booze question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My OSA brothers and sisters,

For the first time I tried Four Roses Small Batch. Also for the first time I wish to go down to Byron's tomorrow and buy a case of this stuff! I have drank various whiskeys over the decades (to include single malt and blended scotches, bourbons.. heck, whiskey lover here) and have developed clear likes and dislikes. I rarely get drunk and bottles last me many weeks or months. I drink for the like of the taste and LIGHT buzz.

So please! If I'm off track here. If you can or if it's right... talk me down off the ledge. Also wish to hear from others who "know" bourbon and have tried ANY Four Roses products since Kirin took over.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the small batch is great stuff. I've started getting it over makers mark where i live. I enjoy it more.

The single barrel four roses is good, too. I don't go cheaper than the small batch for four roses.

i don't know about availability where you are, but we haven't had too much issue getting it (in case you don't want to lay out for a full case).

I'm also a fan of the old weller 12 year if you can find it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was in Ponca City. It was a one shot deal among several stores about three years ago. They haven't had one since, so I'm guessing the turnout didn't meet their expectations.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss Spec's in Texas. Both when I lived in Austin and Dallas they regularly had vendors with booths set up where you could try their wares. They were also usually manned by young, pretty lasses. Oh, and they had a pretty good specialty food section as well. Booze, chicks, food...what else is needed?

Now I live back home in Missouri where you can buy a bottle of Jack at Quick Trip, Sam's Club, or the grocery store. Convenience has it's price.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was in Ponca City. It was a one shot deal among several stores about three years ago. They haven't had one since, so I'm guessing the turnout didn't meet their expectations.

Don't get me wrong. I like living in Oklahoma. Born and raised here. Traveled all over (and I mean ALL over) and chose to return. Having said that :) I don't think most Okies appreciate truly good bourbon or understand the variations. If you really look you can find Single Malt Scotch type tastings and of course occasional wine tastings, but Bourbon... forget it. Which is sad. We are considered The West! We should be all over Bourbon!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I toured the Four Roses Distillery last time I went through there! I have a bottle of Small Batch in the cabinet right now, but only because I drank all my Single Cask and couldn't find any more locally at the time! :(

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't disagree. I've tasted some of the worst rot-gut in the world as well. Sbeebe is right about Missouri. Their burbons are a little above half price what they cost in Ok.

Latest posts

Top Bottom