HELP!.... booze question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm confused. Which one of the 4 Roses is the best? (I've never had it, but will try it now!)

Price wise (at least here) there isn't much difference between single barrel and small batch. I do enjoy them both, but tend towards the small batch when i'm buying as i don't feel the need to go up a level with this brand.

I think most will tell you the single barrel is probably best, then small batch then the cheap stuff in plastic. But i could be wrong.

Oh, and to make it slightly more complicated, some liquor stores have 'bought a barrel' and sell bottles at 'cask strength' from that barrel. We got santa a bottle last year (he wants that instead of milk). It was good, but a little hot for my taste (i think it was like 104 proof)

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO there really isnt major knock me out difference in the taste of the regular single barrel and the LE single barrel. Apologize if my earlier post seemed to indicate it is that much better. I dont know I guess you can say that something already nice and smooth could be alot nicer and smoother? Limited Editions of anything to me just says theyre really proud of themselves or something and theyre putting something a little extra out there for the fanboys to freak out over. Like me. So if ya drink it alot like me then I suppose youll maybe notice a difference and try to find the LE version when you can. No idea, Im no expert at all, Im actually kind of limited in my tastes, not very experimental, if I like something I just stick with that and dont try much else.

Right now I have an empty bottle of the regular single barrel I just finished to replace when Im shopping for liquor. And apparently donuts, just finished the rest of my 'breakfast', lolll. Yepp, a glass of this and a couple of donuts to start my day off at 12:55pm on a Thursday.

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Brother....................4 Roses is good stuff!!!

I'm a BIG proponent of: George Dickel #12, and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Pretty much anything 4 Roses is good!!!

I've sent a few of the distillers kids through college or paid for a few of the distiller's kids weddings drinking these:

Evan_Williams_Single_Barrel.jpg

250px-George_Dickel.jpg

Now if I can find....Whistlepig and Very Old Barton(Bottled in Bond)here in the OKC area I'll be doing good....If not, I'm spending some time in my second home(Vegas) and I'll pick them up there.

diningout.com_denverboulder_wp_content_uploads_sites_13_2015_05_WhistlePig_10_Year.jpg

i.imgur.com_KWp3gQJ.jpg

***Also*** When I'm in Vegas...and if I can find it... I want a case of Pliny the Elder...Hell, even Pliny the Younger Beer!!!!!

dsc03583.jpg

dc.thedrinknation.com_uploads_images_2012_04_03_spring_beer_faceoff_int1.jpg

I do believe obtaining Cohiba Behike 56...is a Hell of a lot easier than Pliny(Russian River) Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blog.getcigar.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_02_images2.jpg

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of the old weller 12 year if you can find it.

Weller 12 yr is as close to Pappy 15 yr as you will find and it is relatively cheap. There was a store near Tinker I could always get Weller 12 at but he retired and closed his store. I have not found it in OKC since and have had to get it in TX. If anyone knows where to get Weller 12 yr in OKC I would sure like to know where I can find it. I'm not looking for the green or red label bottles, Weller 12 yr has black labels.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weller 12 yr is as close to Pappy 15 yr as you will find and it is relatively cheap. There was a store near Tinker I could always get Weller 12 at but he retired and closed his store. I have not found it in OKC since and have had to get it in TX. If anyone knows where to get Weller 12 yr in OKC I would sure like to know where I can find it. I'm not looking for the green or red label bottles, Weller 12 yr has black labels.
Back in the day I drank Wellers and water or club soda.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I toured the Old Pogue Distillery in Maysville, KY. I went to their website and read a review of one of their rye whiskies:

A review of Limestone Landing conducted by the Beverage Tasting Institute: Clear. Aromas and flavors of creamy pistachio nougat, raisin scone, and grain husk with a round, penetrating dryish medium-to-full body a warming, white pepper, fig rye toast, chalk dust, and pear eau-de-vie-like finish. Interesting flavor and dimension; opens nicely with water, and a creative cocktail choice. Rating: 89 Points - Silver Meda - January 24, 2013.

CHALK DUST!!!? Is there anyone here who happens to like chalk dust?

Latest posts

Top Bottom