Help needed with aggressive dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice and ideas. We had him neutered some time back and that seemed to mellow him for a little while, but he got over it!

We didn't always lock him up when people came over, but after he trapped a few people in their cars and went after our neighbor when he came over on his Gator, it became a necessity. He has even nipped at people after they have given him treats, and while wearing a muzzle! Our little neighbor girl was driven to tears when he got aggressive while she rode through on her bike.

BadgeBunny - Thank you for the solid points, I have no desire to pawn my problem off on someone else. I will only consider giving him to someone who has extensive experience with dogs his size and has dealt with behavioral issues.

YIKES! I didn't think you were (trying to pawn him off on someone else). Sorry if my post made it sound like I thought that.

You might try Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Training and The Cautious Canine

Actually ANY book by Patricia McConnell is a WEALTH of information into canine behavior and the anthropological roots behind it, but this one deals specifically with aggressive behavior.

And I thought of a couple of things you might work on while you are waiting on the books to get there. Every adult who is going to be giving him commands needs to read both those books also. Consistency is important.

I have two all encompassing commands:

1. "Wait" Some people think this is the same as "stay" but it is not. I don't care what my dogs are doing, "wait" means stop right there and watch me. The easiest way to train this command is to make your dog wait whenever he is coming into or out of the house. Go to the door, tell him to "Wait" and then when he pauses open the door, point where you want him to go and say "Inside" and let him out. He has to wait calmly before you tell him "Inside" and it's OK if that calm is only for a second. You can get longer with the wait after he understands what you are after. My dogs can be off at a dead run (after a squirrel --- EGADS!!) and I can scream "WAIT" and they will stop dead in their tracks.

If he likes to go for car rides, take him up to the car door and tell him to "wait". Then tell him "inside". Same thing when you get home ... Open the car door, make him wait for a second or two and then tell him "inside" and let him out. DO NOT LET HIM ANTICIPATE YOUR COMMAND. He has to wait for you to say "inside" before he gets the treat.

I used to have 3 dogs here, two of them big dogs, one a medium size one. The medium sized dog LOVED to chase the cats. Once he broke ranks the other 2 were off like shots! "WAIT" was my desperate attempt to not get bowled over at the front door one more time. It worked better than I ever thought possible. Sometimes I would make them all wait just because it was fun to have everybody's undivided attention ... well, that and it was good, positive reinforcement! lol After a while whenever they would come up to the threshold of a door they would just automatically stop and look up at me, waiting for me to tell them "inside", even without the "wait" command ... That is what you are looking for! lol

2. "Inside" It basically releases him from the "Wait" command but I still control him because he goes where I tell him to. (Where ever I point.)

Get him a crate. It needs to be big enough he can stand and turn comfortably in it. Put it in a room that is quiet and away from everyone else for right now and start getting him accustomed to it. Five minutes here and there ... always with a treat and a command. I use "inside" and point for EVERYTHING ... Get in the crate, get in the car, go in the house, go in the yard ... as long as I am pointing where I want my dogs to go "inside" actually means "go here for me". Again, times in the crate can get longer as he becomes comfortable. NEVER, NEVER, EVER put him in that crate as a punishment. For right now go ahead and put him in a room by himself when company comes over but not in that crate. The crate needs to be his "safe haven" not his own personal hell.

Leave the door open for right now or just push it partially shut (but don't latch it) for a few seconds. If you can get him to sleep in it all the better. He needs to feel secure there.

Both of these commands are easy to teach because you can use them for EVERYTHING. "Wait" gets him to focus on you ... especially if you use it when he wants to do something (go in the house or go out in the yard) ... after he gets the hang of it he will start watching you for guidance when he comes to a door. A good thing if you need to stop him.

Once he figures out what is going on mix it up a little and sometimes he gets a treat, sometimes he gets petted and a lot of atta boys. Make it a game. Everytime you want him to go from one place to another, especially if he has to go through a door, go up to the door, stop and make him "wait" first. Then point and say "inside". You can do this a bazillon times a day and not have to dedicate a specific time to "train" him for it.

A couple of other things and then I will shut up ... Even with training, depending on his fear level, you may never be able to fully trust him. Him chasing the neighbor on her bike makes me think he is really just wanting to play but I'm not there to see his body language so I can't be sure. You just need to know that upfront.

And two, he needs to get some serious exercise EVERY day. My Jackie is 12 year old now and can't walk very far because her hips are bad. But if I don't take her out to the front yard and walk up the block with her and back EVERY day she makes sure I know she is not happy. Sometimes she can only walk to the neighbor's drive way and back but she still needs to get out and "see" what is going on. I don't know what the deal is with GSDs but every single one I have had has been this way.

So ... he needs some dedicated exercise. If he likes to chase a ball or play in the water sprinkler you don't necessarily have to walk him out on the street right now. What ever it is, do it until he is worn plumb out ... If he is like my Shadow was that is gonna take some doing ... lol

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it, and I'm probably going to be hammered for this, but he may need to be put down. In any case, you need to get him away from kids and strangers. Permanently. At best he's a lawsuit waiting to happen. At worst he'll end up putting some kid in the hospital. You might as well have a loaded and cocked gun laying around in the open.

You know, I hate to say it outloud, but you are right. I adore all my pets but I have had to put a couple down because they simply were not trustworthy ... and none of it was their fault ... both of them (a dog and a cat) were adopted by me and came from abusive homes. Both of them bit me after I had had them ... the dog a couple of years after I got him and the cat about 18 months after ... so they had had plenty of time to understand they were safe here.

I cried like a baby both times but it was necessary. I don't blame myself or my poor unfortunate pets. I place the blame fully where it belongs ... with the MFrs who mistreated them in the first place.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obedience school is not gonna fix this problem. And why in the world would he pawn his problem off on someone else?? Are you aware that there is case law out there that has held a previous owner liable for medical expenses and damages for attacks of an animal they gave away to someone else when there was evidence of previous aggressive behavior??

And size doesn't have anything to do with the degree of danger with aggressive dogs. I know a woman who had to have 6 different surgerys to repair damage done to her face ... she was attacked by a Pekinese when she leaned over to pet it -- in my father's clinic. I was 9 at the time and saw it happen. I don't lean over to pet ANYBODY'S dog ... lol

Anyway, back to the OP ...

without knowing your dog's history it is hard to say what is triggering it's aggression but aggression is a fear-based emotion in dogs. And most of the other posters are correct ...

I am not a professional dog trainer but my dad was a DVM and I worked at a Holiday Inn (actually a couple of them) for years so take all this with a grain of salt ...

1. If he has not been neutered go ahead and have his nuts cut. It won't stop the behavior, but still, it is the responsible thing to do. It is an old wives tale that neutering a dog will help with aggression. Positive Discontent has a 100 pound German Shepherd that is unneutered. That dog adores EVERYBODY ... except people he doesn't know that try to come into his yard and is around a passel of kids 24/7. In fact, when the kids are gone the dang dog pouts and won't eat ...

2. If you really want to try and keep him, get a crate and a book on positive reinforcement training. I am a big fan of clicker training. It gives the dog an opportunity to think about what you want from him. German Shepherds are notorious for becoming bored if they don't get mental and physical stimulation on a regular basis. More often than not boredom causes them to get into all kinds of trouble.

3. Again, only you know the answer to this question, but if he has gotten to the point where you are really afraid someone is gonna get hurt and you know you can't devote an hour or so a day to exercise and work with him, please consider taking him to a REPUTABLE rescue.

I know Tulsa is a drive from you guys but you might try this place:

http://gsrtulsa.sunsetatsadies.com/

The breeder I have gotten all three of my GSDs from is affiliated with them, so I know your dog will get good training while in a foster home and a good home when he leaves there.

Good luck!

+1 with Badge Bunny, I have one of the GSD from the same breeder. He's not fixed and loves everyone until there's a problem(He knows there is a problem when I tell him verbally or non verbally). Goto the group she listed and get some profesional help. Badge Bunny always has the good advice.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obedience school is not gonna fix this problem. And why in the world would he pawn his problem off on someone else?? Are you aware that there is case law out there that has held a previous owner liable for medical expenses and damages for attacks of an animal they gave away to someone else when there was evidence of previous aggressive behavior??

I just dont like to see a dog in a shelter, with the possibility of being put down. Or not saying the OP would do this, but seeing a dog dumped on the side of the road. I have taken in 3 dogs that were said to be "Aggressive" by the previous owner. I still have all 3 and they are a part of the family. I only had a problem with one of them in the beginning, she would growl at people. I do live on 120 acres, so there is plenty of room for the dogs to run and play, we have 9 dogs that belong to us, 2 are dogs that we bought, 3 were the "Aggressive" dogs and the other 4 are dogs that we rescused off of the streets. I actually just took one in last week, I saw this ******* pull over and throw this puppy out of his door. I called the sheriff's office and reported it, then took the puppy home.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to think twice when you get dogs like this. There is a reason why these dogs are used on task forces across the globe and to protect homes. These dogs are guardians who are bred to protect the home and its occupants. Your extended family members are like intruders to the dog.

His aggression issues just enhance the problem. IMO you probably should have got a lab. lol If getting rid of the dog is your only option then i suggest you find an owner who is up to the challenge or put him down.

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just dont like to see a dog in a shelter, with the possibility of being put down. Or not saying the OP would do this, but seeing a dog dumped on the side of the road. I have taken in 3 dogs that were said to be "Aggressive" by the previous owner. I still have all 3 and they are a part of the family. I only had a problem with one of them in the beginning, she would growl at people. I do live on 120 acres, so there is plenty of room for the dogs to run and play, we have 9 dogs that belong to us, 2 are dogs that we bought, 3 were the "Aggressive" dogs and the other 4 are dogs that we rescused off of the streets. I actually just took one in last week, I saw this ******* pull over and throw this puppy out of his door. I called the sheriff's office and reported it, then took the puppy home.

I gotta be honest with you ... I would rather see him put the dog down than send it to a shelter OR give it to anyone else, unless that person knew exactly what he was getting into and was willing to drop the dog on the spot if it created a problem. And I absolutely abhor "no kill" shelters ... IMHO they encourage the hoarding of pets, which in turn leads to even more abuse, if only by neglect, which is just as bad as outright abuse. Either way the animal suffers horribly.

All the love and good intentions in the world can't undo the damage done to some of these animals and euthanizing them is the most humane thing to do.

I cannot tell you how many dogs and cats I have had to kill in my life because someone dumped them and dammit, folks out in the country can't take in EVERY SINGLE stray dumped at their doorstep. I'll kill them DRT and cry my eyes out for a week after before I will leave them to starve or worse. It's not like an abused animal hasn't led a miserable enough life as it is ...

Yeah ... this is one of my "touchy" spots ... and a big part of the reason I don't like people in general. Pets are NOT fashion statements, even though society in general treats them that way ...

The OP doesn't strike me as in irresponsible pet owner ... otherwise he wouldn't be here asking for advice and you would probably be picking up another aggressive dog of the side of the road.

OK ... I'll get off my soapbox for now and some bleeding heart liberal can come tell me what a cold hearted b**** I am ...

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta be honest with you ... I would rather see him put the dog down than send it to a shelter OR give it to anyone else, unless that person knew exactly what he was getting into and was willing to drop the dog on the spot if it created a problem. And I absolutely abhor "no kill" shelters ... IMHO they encourage the hoarding of pets, which in turn leads to even more abuse, if only by neglect, which is just as bad as outright abuse. Either way the animal suffers horribly.

All the love and good intentions in the world can't undo the damage done to some of these animals and euthanizing them is the most humane thing to do.

I cannot tell you how many dogs and cats I have had to kill in my life because someone dumped them and dammit, folks out in the country can't take in EVERY SINGLE stray dumped at their doorstep. I'll kill them DRT and cry my eyes out for a week after before I will leave them to starve or worse. It's not like an abused animal hasn't led a miserable enough life as it is ...

Yeah ... this is one of my "touchy" spots ... and a big part of the reason I don't like people in general. Pets are NOT fashion statements, even though society in general treats them that way ...

The OP doesn't strike me as in irresponsible pet owner ... otherwise he wouldn't be here asking for advice and you would probably be picking up another aggressive dog of the side of the road.

OK ... I'll get off my soapbox for now and some bleeding heart liberal can come tell me what a cold hearted b**** I am ...

I agree with you that sometimes it is in the best interest of the animal to put them down, but I just cant bring myself to actually do it. I love dogs, no matter what their breed is, living out here where I do, there are alot of strays. If one comes out here and looks like he hasn't eatten in a while, I feed it. Most of the time the stray will go back to whever he came from. If it doesn't leave, I'll let him hang around as long as he is not mean. I just can't let any animal suffer, a animal that has not eatten in a while that is so skinny that all of his bones are showing, is suffering alot. I know I cant take in every stray that is dumped somewhere, but I do what I can to help as many as possible. I have only been forced to put down 2 dogs in my life, one was one of the neghibors dogs that got in the goat pen and killed 4 of them, the other I guess was a stray was running towards my 5yo sister. We do have alot of dogs, but we also have the time to dedicate to them and a place for them to play. Also we have a dog room in our home, our dogs go outside in the morning, and at night they come in to sleep

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you that sometimes it is in the best interest of the animal to put them down, but I just cant bring myself to actually do it. I love dogs, no matter what their breed is, living out here where I do, there are alot of strays. If one comes out here and looks like he hasn't eatten in a while, I feed it. Most of the time the stray will go back to whever he came from. If it doesn't leave, I'll let him hang around as long as he is not mean. I just can't let any animal suffer, a animal that has not eatten in a while that is so skinny that all of his bones are showing, is suffering alot. I know I cant take in every stray that is dumped somewhere, but I do what I can to help as many as possible. I have only been forced to put down 2 dogs in my life, one was one of the neghibors dogs that got in the goat pen and killed 4 of them, the other I guess was a stray was running towards my 5yo sister. We do have alot of dogs, but we also have the time to dedicate to them and a place for them to play. Also we have a dog room in our home, our dogs go outside in the morning, and at night they come in to sleep

I'm not real sure what part of feeding strays and then running them off if they are mean or letting them go back to where they came from to breed indiscriminately and increase the feral dog population you think is "helping". I got nothing else to say that won't get me banned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom