Help needed with aggressive dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royallbinky

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would never dump him, I imagine his aggression issues are what got him dumped in the first place! As much as it bothers me to say it, I am nearing the last resort of putting him down. I love him, and I hate to do it, but the risks with him are very high!

He feeds off of fear, if he can tell you are afraid he rechets up the intensity even more. When the neighbor girl began to cry he just seemed to feed off of that and started snarling and lunging at her even though I had him on a short lease and was there telling him everything was fine.

The loaded gun analogy was pretty accurate, unfortunately.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not real sure what part of feeding strays and then running them off if they are mean or letting them go back to where they came from to breed indiscriminately and increase the feral dog population you think is "helping". I got nothing else to say that won't get me banned.

I am not sure if I said anything to offend you, or anything like that, but if I did, I apologize. My intent was not to offend anyone or put them down for anything. I was simply trying to give my beliefs on stray/abandoned/aggressive dogs.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure if I said anything to offend you, or anything like that, but if I did, I apologize. My intent was not to offend anyone or put them down for anything. I was simply trying to give my beliefs on stray/abandoned/aggressive dogs.

I think we should not derail this thread any more than we have already. I'll PM you.

My heart goes out to you, RB. It is hard to have to take responsibility for a mess someone else created. Like I said in my PM, you have already done more for him than anyone else in his short life. You are in my prayers.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I couldn't and that is what it comes down to

It's a tough thing to put a buddy down, even when they're dieing and you know it's the best thing for them. The last time I had to do it I sobbed so hard at the vet it embarrassed my family. But if everything you've said here is true it doesn't seem like you have any other reasonable or responsible choice. My heart's with you man.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
funny enough we think he is GSD Shar Pei Mix

Weren't shar pei's originally bred by the Chinese for guard dogs??

Ohh ... I was close ... from that well-known bastion of ultimate knowledge, Wikipedia ...

The origin of the Chinese Shar-Pei can be traced to the province of Guangdong and has existed for centuries in the southern provinces of China. These dogs helped their peasant masters with various tasks, such as herding cattle and guarding the home and family, and have proven themselves to be qualified hunters of wild game-usually wild pigs-and, of course, they were used for generations as fighting dogs by the Chinese nobility, although the practice became rarer after the communist revolution, when such activities were seen as the preserve of the decadent classes.

Recent genetic research has suggested the Shar-Pei is one of a few ancient dog breeds, believed to have split from common ancestors earlier than other breeds. By mapping subtle differences in each breed’s genes, searching for patterns of relationships and designing a tree to fit them, they could finally gain insight into this marvel of evolutionary engineering. In 2004, the foundational analysis of purebred dog genetics was published in Science (http://www.britainhill.com/GeneticStructure.pdf). The resulting tree was profoundly asymmetrical. After wolves, just four groups sat its base: Asia’s shar-pei, along with shiba inu, akita and chow chow; central Africa’s basenji; malamutes from the Arctic, along with Siberian huskies and samoyeds; and from the Middle East, Afghan hounds and salukis.

This might help explain why he is so easy to provoke ...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not a pleasant task, but that dog needs to be put down.

if what you say is accurate, that dog is a proven danger to kids
and only a matter of time before something bad happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom