Hi-point any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-points are junk, plain and simple. No way I'd trust one to defend my life. There are just too many used platforms out there that can be had for cheap over a hi-point.

what used platform where you referring to in the $140 range?
CB, damn well stated. If what you can afford is a raven .25 then it is what it is, cheap gun for your defense. A high point is probably more reliable than the other lower end guns. I think someone who buys one for their one and only gun for home defense or just to own a gun is probably not a fanatic and all over this forum.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gal had 1 at the ccw class I was at, jammed every 5 rds of fire. She may not have a good grip & limpped it. It sure slowwwed things down:nono2:

In my experience with my Hi-Point 9mm, the gun is extremely intolerant of limp-wristing. I can almost cause a stovepipe on demand just by loosening my grip. Other than that, the gun works just fine, and accuracy is pretty decent. I use mine as a truck gun - if it's stolen, I'll be more upset about the broken window than the loss of the pistol.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB, damn well stated. If what you can afford is a raven .25 then it is what it is, cheap gun for your defense. A high point is probably more reliable than the other lower end guns. I think someone who buys one for their one and only gun for home defense or just to own a gun is probably not a fanatic and all over this forum.

any gun is better than no guns. hi points aren't horrible but far from great. A tad better than the other traditional SNS (bryco, jennings, davis, jimenez). I personally have a davis and jimenez. Accuracy @ 25 yards isn't great - design and disassembly for cleaning blows. But if I were to lose it not a big loss. Would I trust a "cheap" pistol with my life? If it was the only thing I could afford or had yes. Would I trust it to properly function without question every time I used it? No. To chamber 1 round and go bang - yes.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
any gun is better than no guns. Would I trust a "cheap" pistol with my life? If it was the only thing I could afford or had yes. Would I trust it to chamber 1 round and go bang - yes.

this is good stuff too.
I think a lot of times we envision a gun battle. I sure hope that doesn't happen to any of us. If it does, I hope I got a battle rifle and not a pistol regardless of what it is. Handguns are to get you out of a jam, a raven .25 is more of a threat than a guy with stick. I will bet on the raven going off at least once.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience with my Hi-Point 9mm, the gun is extremely intolerant of limp-wristing. I can almost cause a stovepipe on demand just by loosening my grip. Other than that, the gun works just fine, and accuracy is pretty decent. I use mine as a truck gun - if it's stolen, I'll be more upset about the broken window than the loss of the pistol.

We're discussing Hi-Points, not Glocks.

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Are there lower end guns that are lower than the hipoint?????:yikes2::bigeye::saywhat::screwy:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a friend who has a Sig 226 and a high point, and the high point is more accurate and reliable then the sig, now the sig is only a two years old, and since 2003 sig has really went down hill, so not saying much. i have had good and bad with highpoints, so do not expect too much. but they have lifetime warrenty no questions asked, and out of all the cheap guns highpoint would be the only way to go.

that is why they make so many guns so each person may have whatever they want, "to each his own".

there is something seriously wrong with your friends sig. It should be as accurate as any other pistol. if it is not, then there is a problem, could it be shoter error? sigs require a little more trigger finger than when I shoot a glock for example.

Latest posts

Top Bottom