High end AR’s, diminishing returns, and reliability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
LET DA POO FLY lol Yellow=good, Red=Gooder
toptierilike.jpg

toptierlolollol.jpg

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve made both mistakes (buy/build) and will probably repeat them as I age.

I will admit to better luck trading/selling factory guns but the difference in quality is hard to fathom without travelling both roads.

My first piece of advice would be investing in good tools if you decide to build. I’ve seen lots of members willing to share their wisdom, time and tools as well.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Colt fanboy...*** I've used Colt rifles in the military, as a cop and for fun. I've had one issue. The trigger pin on one of my rifles walked it's way out while I was at a Thunder Ranch team tactics course. Easy fix. Aside from that they've always treated me well. Good resale, too, if you think that might be important.

So, no question for me. If I had that budget I'd find a nice, older Colt. Or a new 6920 and spend the rest on ammo. I saw someone had 6920 rifles on sale for $899 but can't remember where. In my opinion, that would be money well spent.

But I also think the average person can buy a PSA or something equivalent and be happy. Not everyone is taking their gun to war.

***I'm mostly talking about pre 2012 Colt rifles. The only "new" Colt I have is one of the A4 rifles. It seems to be pretty squared away and I have no complaints. But I'm pretty sure they're farming out some of their parts now. I still like the earlier guns better.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have any issues with my Palmeto Freedom uppers and my "made" lowers.
Sub moa and reliable.
I do not understand the issue with people wanting to spend money on these AR's as they are not a complicated piece of equipment.
I would not do a "plastic" lower though. That just seems wrong.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why did SIG and Aero get the axe on your chart? I am actually encouraged that you axed Aero but not DPMS or PSA (same company now).

Because Sig and Aero have quite a few QC issues . They can be ok after you usually fix some stuff but there's a lot of documented problems with rifles from both concerning QC problems some major and a lot of minor ones that end users usually have to address . Once all the QC problems are sorted they can be ok guns though .

Buy once cry once is a good piece of advise

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom