AR-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good day gents and gals,

For some inexplicable reason, I have a hankering for a AR chambered in 22LR. I know rifle can be finicky in ARs and wanted to reach out and see what yall had had experience with and if you had any recommendations.

Preferably looking for one based off of a real AR type frame, and not a look alike like the polymer ones. I want the fit and feel to the similar to a standard AR is all.

I also plan to run rem thunderbolt, golden bullet, and federal automatch type ammo (and don’t want to have to buy specialty ammo just for it).

Essentially, I want a budget range blaster for myself and friends kids to be able to learn and practice with that is cheap to shoot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also. I already have traditional styled 22 rifles in droves, I specifically want a AR patterned one now.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W M&P 15-22.
I have one that has probably 30k or 40k rounds through it and runs like a top! It has run everything I have tried to feed it, except sub-sonic and it ran about 2/3 of that 50 round box without a problem. If it had been clean it might have run it all.
It is 10 years old or so and has been to many steel challenge matches and 2 Appleseed events. They don’t allow the 15-22 anymore, but they used to.
It has been a great rifle, controls are almost identical to some of my ar’s.

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used the Chiappa dedicated .22lr upper for several years and it worked ok on my AR lower. I put a lot of rounds through that one.

Built a .22lr upper that i really, really like, but have more in it than any other uppers I have.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried the CMMG AR-15 conversion and it worked very well. You can't get any closer to a real AR than that.
I have thought of this, but heard some concern about leading up the gas tube/orifice with long term use. Since this will be ally exclusively a 2/lr for its life, I just don’t wanna pack the gas hole full of lead and then send a 556 down range with “less than ideal” results.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W M&P 15-22.
I have one that has probably 30k or 40k rounds through it and runs like a top! It has run everything I have tried to feed it, except sub-sonic and it ran about 2/3 of that 50 round box without a problem. If it had been clean it might have run it all.
It is 10 years old or so and has been to many steel challenge matches and 2 Appleseed events. They don’t allow the 15-22 anymore, but they used to.
Cabelas has those for 459.99 right now. That’s one that I’m definitely eyeing hard. As far as mags, how hard are they to come by, how well roll do they work, and are they full capacity? (Like 25+ rounds) or limited 10rd or so capacity?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have thought of this, but heard some concern about leading up the gas tube/orifice with long term use. Since this will be ally exclusively a 2/lr for its life, I just don’t wanna pack the gas hole full of lead and then send a 556 down range with “less than ideal” results.
Maybe swapping out the BCG and sending a couple of 5.56 rounds through it at the end of each range session will keep the lead out. :D

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W M&P 15-22.
I'll second the S&W M&P 15-22. My brother and I both have one that we took to numerous rimfire challenge competitions and they both worked great. Of course, there were the occasional rimfire failures, but those are great for learning to cope with malfunctions. I don't think ours has as many rounds through them as @JeffT , but it would definitely be in the multiple thousand rounds area. And, if you want to just have fun with it, you can get a Frankford Arsenal binary trigger for it. Which is my plan for the future.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it a metal constructed rifle? Aside from the mag and stock of course. I wasn’t sure if SW uses the poly upper or lower receiver

Latest posts

Top Bottom