Hog Hunting with an AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote is for the 5.56/.223 with heavy bullets.

What you are missing when you are talking .308 is $$$. A .308 AR on average will cost you $500 more than a comparable 5.56/.223 AR. With a .308 AR, literally almost nothing is compatible with 5.56/.223.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my vote is for the 6.8 spc. Check out 68forums for more info. There are several guys on there they shoot a lot of hogs.

I think the 6.8 is a little more versatile round unless you are wanting to go subsonic, although I think quality subsonic 6.8 systems are just around the corner. Bison Armory is/has developed a 11.5" barrel that will spin a 200 grain bullet at 1050 fps and cycle the action on an AR.

RatTerrier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my vote is for the 6.8 spc. Check out 68forums for more info. There are several guys on there they shoot a lot of hogs.

I think the 6.8 is a little more versatile round unless you are wanting to go subsonic, although I think quality subsonic 6.8 systems are just around the corner. Bison Armory is/has developed a 11.5" barrel that will spin a 200 grain bullet at 1050 fps and cycle the action on an AR.

+1 on the versatility of the 68 and +1 for Bison!

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot pigs with my AR using the little bitty 45gr Hornady V-Max rounds. I took a 700lb+ boar down with one single shot from one. Granted it was a head shot, but it counts. A bigger round would be better, but even the little rounds work.

That being said, if you've got the $ to spend, why not get a 458 socom upper or a 300 blackout. They're just plain cool. Get a suppressor while you're at it.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Killed a hog out at Canton WMA using 62gr VMAX load I made up. Not sure how deadly the load was as I was not real concerned with accuracy of my shots. The hog ran out of some cattails up the side of the bowl it was hanging out in. The guy I was hunting with shot and either hit its spine or broke the back hips using his 243 Encore. The pig started moving around using its front legs while the back legs were limp. I pumped a few into the hog as it tried to make its way back to the cattails. The hog was dead shortly after my couple of shots. In the pictures, you can see where my buddy shot the pig near its butt.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

I will definitely recommend the AR15 Performance stuff. All three 5.56 barrels I have are from there. All three shoot very well even after I cut them down to the lengths I wanted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom