Hot tea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all the tea and coffee talk here - I will affirm I am a Coca-Cola fan, big time. I love the stuff but have limited my intake of late but not stopped and probably won't ever.
If TEOTWAWKI zombie/alien/second coming scenario happens I've already told the wife that she and the dog will be protected...after the last remaining Coca Cola supplies are secured.

Don't drink coffee and never have but I do think it smells great, I just don't like the taste unless I add so much cream and sugar that it is basically a milk-shake.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The ONLY time I have had hot tea was when I ran out of coffee one winter morning a couple of years ago. I made a pot of tea using tea bags in the coffee maker.

It was okay, but I like the taste of coffee much better.

I have been drinking coffee for over forty years and never got addicted to it. Sometimes I will go months during the warm weather without any, but during the cooler weather I really enjoy a cup or three in the morning and occasionally in the evening.

I have already started drinking coffee less these last few weeks.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those going the loose leaf route:
http://www.thejasminepearl.com/Chai_Tea_s/1486.htm

My wife uses a tea ball that looks like its from the last century, think it was her grammas.

Found these also:

Earl Grey tea steamer:
ingredients : 1 teaspoon loose earl grey tea or 1 bag of earl grey tea
1.5 cups water - boiling
2 tablespoons canned (evaporated milk)

The directions are : Steep tea in boiled water for 5 minutes.
Remove Tea leaves or tea bag
Mix in milk (stir real good haha)

Earl Grey tea lattes:
ingredients : 1 tea bag of Earl Grey tea
1/2 to 3/4 cup of the milk of your choice
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup (in a pinch, you can substitute a equal parts water and sugar, then add a few drops of vanilla extract)
1/2 to 3/4 cup boiling water (this should equal the amount of milk you used)

You'll need a handheld milk frother, which you can get at Target or Amazon, a small mug, and a large mug. When choosing your mug, be sure to take into account not just the amount of liquid you'll be pouring in, but the extra space the foam will require. I use a 16 oz mug.

Make the tea in the small mug according to the instructions on the package, but cut the amount of water down to about 1/2 to 3/4 cup so the tea will be a little stronger than it would be if you were drinking it plain. Be sure to cover the mug with a saucer to hold the heat in as the tea steeps.

While the tea steeps, heat the milk and vanilla syrup on the stove or in the microwave until it's hot, but not boiling (I think it tastes better when I heat it on the stove for some reason). Pour the milk into a large mug and use the handheld milk frother for about 30-45 seconds to whip up the amount of foam you'd like. Make sure you have the end of the frother below the surface of the milk before you turn it on so it won't splatter. By the time you're done with the milk, the tea should be almost done steeping; once it's done, pour it through the center of the foam.

Last edited:

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drink mostly green tea hot. It's an acquired taste.
If at a Chinese restaurant, I like Jasmine tea.
I prefer black tea iced and that's normally what I get when eating out. Rarely drink pop anymore.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has become my go-to tea, overtaking any Earl Grey:

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160323_fe714de846d3fec9fd628943dd73c931.jpg

My wife got me into drinking tea a couple years ago, and I'm certainly a big fan.

Pro tip: If you want to clean residue from an aluminum/stainless steel tumbler soak it in a mix of vinegar and water for a while, then dump it and scrub it out with some baking soda. Takes care of any lingering aftertaste and discoloration without adding a taste itself.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has become my go-to tea, overtaking any Earl Grey:

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160323_fe714de846d3fec9fd628943dd73c931.jpg

My wife got me into drinking tea a couple years ago, and I'm certainly a big fan.

Pro tip: If you want to clean residue from an aluminum/stainless steel tumbler soak it in a mix of vinegar and water for a while, then dump it and scrub it out with some baking soda. Takes care of any lingering aftertaste and discoloration without adding a taste itself.
Yes, this is another one of my staples. It's really good.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I drink it black. It's likely not bad for me at the levels I drink it, but feeling dependent on it and experiencing withdrawals when I don't have it just makes me feel stupid. I hear the withdrawals go away pretty quickly if you stop consuming caffeine so I guess I could theoretically stop, but I like the ritual now.

As a kid I used to see my parents scramble to make/buy/down coffee and thought it was the stupidest thing. My dad would be late to his deer stand because he needed coffee. He still many mornings will walk to his stand with his travel mug, stopping to sip it along the way.

caffeine addiction sucks

I don't *think* I'm addicted...

I don't regularly go without, but occasionally I don't get any one day, or don't even drink the whole cup.

Either that or my regular consumption level is high enough that a day without isn't enough to drop the caffeine level... HA! :O

Latest posts

Top Bottom