How CHEAP can you build and AR-15???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thread - I've been wondering what the bottom end pricing was on an AR - good to know (I've got friends who are asking about an AR, but cringe at the thought of spending $800-$900).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Both model1sales or del-ton have Rifle Kits (full AR minus stripped lower) for under $500. Add a cheap stripped lower and you have a complete AR for ~$550. And a decent - not high, decent - quality AR.

If you are looking for ultimately cheap, get the A2 upper and you don't need to add anything else to shoot it. If you get the A3, you have more flexibility, but must add either a rear sight or an optic to aim.

My EA lower ($86), LPK ($50), and Del-Ton middy rifle kit (with CTR minus LPK for $515) shoots pretty good, about 3moa right now. I did add a flip up rear sight, and rings for 4x scope I had laying around. Going to add a free float 4 rail and see if that improves accuracy. So far has been completely reliable with factory ammo (took a few tries to work out the kinks in loading semi auto rifle ammo), other than it didn't like a friends beta mag, at all.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got about $800 in this because I bought a lot of used parts to finish it off, and only got what I absolutely needed (notice no dust cover). The lower and barrel are the only pieces I bought new.

[Broken External Image]

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who "played" along. It really is good to look at the vast chasm that exists between Low end and The Sky's the limit. We all have dreams of that 10K tricked out AR platform with ALL the bells and whistles. (notice I said AR and not "M") My question is how much iks too much. I wonder what the best Bang for your buck is? IE..Accuracy+Reliability+Affordibility. That is obviously a subjective question, but the argument could be fun.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just finished my first ever lower. Its a MEGA with RRA LPK and an A2 stock bought from a member here. So far I have about $240 or so in the lower. I plan on a RRA 20" upper that goes about $520. So about $750. Not the cheapest but it is built the way I want and will be confident.

Reaction score
I have to say that my Blackthorne heavy barrel kit ($429) and Delaware Machine lower ($100) has been great. I have not had a hiccup. I've shot with friends who have better paying jobs and shoot much more expensive rifles and watched their rifles produce failures while mine kept on going bang. More expensive doesn't equal better. There are some really high end guns out there that are worth what they cost but for those of us who can't afford them, the cheaper rifle can still be a good rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom