how I wasted my day - picture attached

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice set of MT's on my truck pretty regularly gets me where I need to go on the property. We've had it on the beach a number of times. I fly my RC planes, kids play in the river, wife in the sun - makes for a grand ol time usually. With all the water we've been having, the rivers banks had really changed. Had I been able to keep going forward it would have been fine. having to try to back down off this little hill was waht did us in.

I know you guys don't seem to think it's that stuck, tell that to the wife and three kiddo's I had with me. we are seriously stuck here. I've been stuck worse, but this is a big one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stuck is stuck. 99% of the time its high center.

My first post was to have the equipment to get yourself out or have a buddy.

We used to go out and see who could get stuck, and then pull them out. Sand is worse than mud in my opinion.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anytime 8K lbs is stuck, it's no fun. The first time I was stuck in the sand, the guy helping me buried his Chevy in the sand, he called a friend and we got him pulled out, then they both hooked on to me at the same time. Second and the third time was with a tractor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck in the red mud of NW Ok.

High lift jack, chain and something to pull against.

Something to pull against, may be an anchor buried in the ground.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good choice. I'm rolling up 290,000 miles on my Tacoma.
Its a working farm truck, not an asphalt cowboy vehicle.

You guys definitely influenced my decision, man.

Those pics up there where my Jeep got stuck were in an area I wasn't familiar with and is full of swampy mud and rocks hidden underneath that mud (so it's super easy to sink a vehicle to the frame/skid-plates). I was honestly trying to be cautious by avoiding the giant mud-hole and going over where it looked like the lesser of two evils was. Sank into the mud on a place where it looks like a hundred guys did the same before me and eroded away the sand-stone in the tire-tracks, so I sat it down on the skid-plate and spun all 4 tires with no joy.

Then the puddle I drove through uphill started emptying (via my tire-tracks in the mud) down into the hole I created and things went from bad to worse quickly.

I ended up getting pulled out by a local meth-head on a tractor.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another easy trick is always keep an old tire that isn't mounted to a rim with you and a couple chains. Hook one chain to the stuck vehicle and through one side of the tire, other chain through the unstuck vehicle and through the other side of the tire. Basically use that setup as a jerk rope, but it takes all the rough jerking and popping out of the chain and puts it in the tire as it stretches. I have seen this used and have used it several times to get trucks unstuck after other people failed at trying to get it unstuck. If you haven't seen it used before its pretty neat the first time you see it. It takes some practice to figure out how hard you can actually hit the end of the chain. You would be surprised at how fast a run you can actually get at it and how hard you can hit the end of the chain.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 32039View attachment 32038View attachment 32039View attachment 32040 2012-07-02 21.02.09.jpgJust a few of the vehicles that I have recovered. Like others have said before driving on the dry flour sand deflating tires helps a lot. A couple pieces of scrap carpet and shovel can help get your self out of a bind. A winch is great for self recovery if you have a solid anchor. You have to bury your spare tire pretty deep to be a solid anchor if you are stuck bad. Sorry you spent that many hours stranded with your family. 2012-08-12 17.29.37.jpgOne of these comes in handy for days like that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a winch, be sure to carry a shovel and an anchor to bury in the ground to pull against. if you don't, be prepared for a lot of work.

I got stuck in a 3/4 ton extra cab once to the frame. I had a HiLift jack and buried a fence post that I jacked out of the ground with the High lift and 48" at a time, used the jack and a chain to pull the truck back up to the road.

Put the fence post back into the fence line, and went on down the road.

It sucks, and is a lot of work, but you can get out of almost any situation with the right tools for the job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom