How to fatten a dog up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The satin balls I made is. 1 raw egg, 1 lbs of fatty beef a cup or so of oatmeal, cup or so of total cereal, a few table spoons of molasses, 1 pack of gelatin, some wheat germ. I think that's all but just a guess of the anounts(don't have it in front of me) that made about 15 patties I've been doing one a day but maybe he needs more.

He's a corgi and he runs a lot so I'm thinking he's burning his calories away.

Pic of him in the snow you can kinda tell he's slim. Vet said he was 20 lbs and that was small

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year one of my hounds got sick and lost over 20 pounds and looked like a skeleton. We gave him a combination of breakfast sausage, eggs, cheese, and oatmeal, as much as he'd eat whenever he'd eat. Didn't take him long to get back up to 75 pounds and now he looks like a slim body builder again.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a pet owner any longer but my mom's poodle was thin all his life. He wasn't sick but he was just thin by nature. We made sure he had food all the time but we never tried to pack weight on him just to fit into an 'ideal' weight range. If he is happy and healthy then let him be.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a pet owner any longer but my mom's poodle was thin all his life. He wasn't sick but he was just thin by nature. We made sure he had food all the time but we never tried to pack weight on him just to fit into an 'ideal' weight range. If he is happy and healthy then let him be.

Agree with this ^^^

I'm on a phone, so I didn't get a great look, but the dog doesn't look unhealthy thin to me.

From my experience, dogs, cats & horses are kinda like people. You can feed them the same diet, and some will be heavier than others. If you're free feeding him, he'll eat when he's hungry.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, if he's happy and healthy there's no reason to force the weight on. Did the vet say why he wanted the weight put on?

We free feed our dogs too, all three of them only eat when they're hungry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom