How to fix my rock island island.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do I need to do to my 3.5" RIA 1911. Has feeding problems. Have bought a new Kimber mag have had feed ramp polished. What do I do next and what will it cost? Will load fmj or ball ammo great but will not load protection rounds.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The feed ramp is just the first point of contact... and polishing doesn't change the angle that is usually needed to feed hollow points if thats your protection rounds - Barrel throating is next... if you want to do it the right way... Call and get cost and what the turnaround time is at your local shop is the best way...

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with aviator41. But don't touch your feed ramp!!! Revived said you can polish it...yes that's OK only if you really know what that means but don't change the feed ramp's angle. Please answer the question "what's happening at failure?"

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't polish it I had a gunsmith do it. I just paid for it :-). As for what it's doing... it will grab each round and jam it into the feed ramp/ barrel area. if the bullet is the slightest bit flat it will not slide up ramp into the barrel. then you have to eject mag, pull back slide and let bullet fall out of the mag well... hope this gives you a better idea of what's going on. But no problem with fmj or ball ammo. have shot probably 2000 rounds of fmj or ball and has never failed me with either.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Extractor may be too tight and need adjustment and polish. Round nose will force its way in under extractor lip but your hp's will hang at least resistence.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure pages could be written about FTF issues... so - FWIW... as long as your ramp angle is 31 degrees it's probably not the problem... hollow points will typically "nosedive" into the bottom lip of the barrel actually trying to push it forward (which is why "setback" is common).... The extractor is normally not involved at this point... look to see if any of your FTF's have a small smiley face just under the case mouth - barrel throating should be considered as the next step in the process...

Latest posts

Top Bottom