How to waste 20 rounds of 5.56 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot a 3 round group to zero your rifle.....don't go down and look and just use the 4x scope to see that that holes are close to where they should be. In this case above the aiming point.

Then shoot 17 more at the bottom of the 100 yard A zone steel plate and get mad because you are shooting all around it.

Then realize the CAR-15 1/12 barrel doesn't play well with 62 grain M885.
smiley_abused.gif

Luckily I had some 193 too and it shot pretty much where I thought it would with the carry handle scope.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, that 1:12 barrel doesn't like heavies. .55 grain and lighter. During the Obama shortage when ammo and reloading components were unavailable or insanely priced, I found two or three boxes of Federal .223 with I think 45 grain bullets in a small gunshop that was trying to hold prices down.
Just out of curiosity, where did you find the barrel with a 1:12 twist?
I'd like to find one to build an upper with that twist to shoot the light bullets now that reloading supplies are coming back on line.
Edit:
I know you can go down to .40 grain bullets from Hornady.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, that 1:12 barrel doesn't like heavies. .55 grain and lighter. During the Obama shortage when ammo and reloading components were unavailable or insanely priced, I found two or three boxes of Federal .223 with I think 45 grain bullets in a small gunshop that was trying to hold prices down.
Just out of curiosity, where did you find the barrel with a 1:12 twist?
I'd like to find one to build an upper with that twist to shoot the light bullets now that reloading supplies are coming back on line.
Edit:
I know you can go down to .40 grain bullets from Hornady.

It is a Brownell's CAR15 repop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom