I am afraid that the value of formerly collectible handguns is going down. Hear me out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, "collectible" firearms are those with high appeal and low production numbers (or number of known remaining examples), or unique history/provenance. Those will always retain value over time. Another somewhat lower tier would be mass production firearms with unique appeal or coveted craftsmanship.

The generally accepted winners are full-auto NFA items. Historically they outperform all but very special Title 1 firearms, but that value is always at risk of legislation wiping it out.

The rest are for personal enjoyment and are again IMO, worth what you feel like paying for them. Yes I'd love to have a cherry hard-chromed P7M8 with Nill grips, but I ain't paying what they bring on today's market. :)

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If and when our dollar ever gets valued at it's true worth it won't be worth toilet paper. Our debt grows now by TRILLIONS a year and they just keep printing. When the SHTF (I pity my grandkids) guns and food will be worth more than gold and paper money will be a joke. Guns go up every time a lib gets elected. Did for Clinton,Obama, and if Poopy Pants gets re-elected (that will be Obamas FORTH term lets be real) guns will go up again don't worry.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If and when our dollar ever gets valued at it's true worth it won't be worth toilet paper. Our debt grows now by TRILLIONS a year and they just keep printing. When the SHTF (I pity my grandkids) guns and food will be worth more than gold and paper money will be a joke. Guns go up every time a lib gets elected. Did for Clinton,Obama, and if Poopy Pants gets re-elected (that will be Obamas FORTH term lets be real) guns will go up again don't worry.
Weimar.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, "collectible" firearms are those with high appeal and low production numbers (or number of known remaining examples), or unique history/provenance. Those will always retain value over time. Another somewhat lower tier would be mass production firearms with unique appeal or coveted craftsmanship.

The generally accepted winners are full-auto NFA items. Historically they outperform all but very special Title 1 firearms, but that value is always at risk of legislation wiping it out.

The rest are for personal enjoyment and are again IMO, worth what you feel like paying for them. Yes I'd love to have a cherry hard-chromed P7M8 with Nill grips, but I ain't paying what they bring on today's market. :)
I agree with everything you said there. My main concern is the “appeal” thing. Lots of rare guns out there that have no value because no one wants them. My present concern is that stuff that appealed 10-15 years ago is losing appeal and I’m not sure how something like a Walther P5 will ever get that prestige back.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of like what's happened in the automobile collectors market --- from 'brass era' to muscle cars.

I just buy what I like and don't worry about future value.
The parallels between the car market and gun market are real. Cars are so useful and fun to collect that they will always be the ultimate collectible in my opinion. Every car ever made will eventually have its day where it is collectible.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1713375585456.jpeg

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of like what's happened in the automobile collectors market --- from 'brass era' to muscle cars.

I just buy what I like and don't worry about future value.
I've read that the problem with the vintage car markets is in many cases it's a literal impossibility to get parts. There's often "gunsmith specials" for sale that one can pillage but not too many worn out Super Bee's laying around. 2500.00 for a vintage Python sounds a bit better than half a million for a Super Bee...

Latest posts

Top Bottom