I feel I do not need a Cell Phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Will it be fast enough and "secure" as she runs 3 screens.
Not that my land line is fast as it is NOT.

I think here lies the issue unless there is a way around it.

Can you plug your phone into a government computer?

According to Air Force Instruction 33-200, Cyber Security Program Management, and Air Force Manual 33-283, Communications Security, unapproved devices such as smartphones and thumb drives may not be plugged into a government network.Jul 6, 2016
Yes it would be fast enough. As far as security and USAF approved, sounds like it may not be due to security.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend, one of my best friends, who refuses to carry a cell phone. He has one, he just hates to carry it.

He brags about not carrying it, says you can call his home landline and leave a message on his old fashioned answering machine.

Everything has been fine; he's managed to do things his way for many years.

But.....

He recently, at the age of 69, left his cell phone at home as usual....

And his car broke down 75 miles from home.

Nope. No way to call a tow truck, or a mobil mechanic, or EVEN GET A RIDE COMING TO TOTE HIS ASS HOME.

Balls in your court now, so to speak.

Personally, If I were him, I'd keep my cell phone in my car, have it turned off. I could then turn it on when I NEEDED it.

Sucks to be him, 69 years ago, having to walk a few miles to the nearest place to try to get a phone to call for help from home.

He figured he'd use a pay phone. Dude those things are extinct!

And no one at the small tiny gas station/convenience store in rural Oklahoma would let him use their cell phones. Finally someone stopping for gas and coffee offered to call help for him.

I understand being stubborn, etc. But there's NO EXCUSE to screw yourself and those around you that are listening to you DEMAND they help you.

Dumbass is as dumbass does.

You don't like cell phones? Compromise, keep one charged up and turned off until you need it. Then use it.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Back in 97 I had a boss that would send me on deliveries and make me take the pager. I would tell him "I will take it but I won't turn it on." Yes, I know that I’m not as funny as I think I am. :)
Reminds me of a sort of funny story. Years ago I had responsibility for a group of post offices. Each Postmaster was issued a pager and required to be on call 24/7. I had an old grouchy guy as PM at Clinton I could never reach after hours when there was an emergency at his office. When I had a discussion with him and instructed him to keep his pager on he said he would stick it up his a-- on vibrate.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Reminds me of a sort of funny story. Years ago I had responsibility for a group of post offices. Each Postmaster was issued a pager and required to be on call 24/7. I had an old grouchy guy as PM at Clinton I could never reach after hours when there was an emergency at his office. When I had a discussion with him and instructed him to keep his pager on he said he would stick it up his a-- on vibrate.

IMG_2627.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My jobs required cell service and a phone. Call out available 365/24/7.
I had a side hack as a traveling CNC machine tool tech on the days off. I made thousands upon thousands of dollars taking calls while on the road or home for service consulting without having to be there for my customers. In-house visits required travel expenses and a much higher rate.
Did appointments and billing from the phone after creating an invoice and a link to the tax accountant so every thing was above board.
It was bringing in enough income that I considered doing it full time and hiring employees. The potential was impressive but working at a power plant was going to be a never ending job that was secure and paid well. Took the conservative route and stayed there. Retirement was not that far off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom